Vitamins

aknipling
on 3/29/11 10:49 am
Ok, so when I went to my last Dr. visit they gave me some chewable vitamins to try out. I have tried almost all of them and feel like throwing up after each one. They are chalky and disgusting. Are there better ones out there? Can I take gummy vitamins like I take now in a larger amount? Do you have any vitamins that you reccomend?
Emily F.
on 3/29/11 11:01 am
What brand are they? I take the chewable calcium citrate from Bariatric Choice and like them. They are chalky but I just suck on them a little and I don't mind it. MUCH better than the whole pills that give me gas.
aknipling
on 3/29/11 11:11 am
I'm not sure what brand they are. They are all different I think. Maybe I just haven't found the right flavor. I will check out the ones you suggested/ Thanks!!!
Larissa P.
on 3/29/11 12:32 pm - Denton, TX
Can you not swallow pills?

Chewables suck. A lot of us started swallowing pills as early as two weeks out.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
aknipling
on 3/29/11 12:51 pm
I can swallow pills but I thought I had to wait like 6 months before I could use them. That is what the dietition told me. Don't you have to start vitamins like the day after surgery?
Larissa P.
on 3/29/11 1:04 pm - Denton, TX
No...you start vitamins slowly as you tolerate them. Post surgery you just need to make sure you get your fluids in. Your dietition is nuts. 6 months? WHY?

BTW, a lot of us take capsules (gelatin shells filled with powdered vitamin) because they dissolve quickly in the gut and are very easy to swallow. You can get any vitamin in capsule form easily. The only solid vitamins I take are my iron (proferrin - split in half for easier absorbtion) and sublinguals which are meant to dissolve under the tongue.

What kind of vitamin schedule are you following? Have you checked out Vitalady's plan? (in my siggy under handy docs)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
airbender
on 3/29/11 1:54 pm
I can't do chewables oh my gosh, yuck.  I was taking my full dose pills by 4 weeks, first started with a multivitamin (cut up) then added one every time till I was taking them all in
beemerbeeper
on 3/29/11 2:28 pm - AL
Are you asking what types of vites you should be taking or what brands?  Who is your surgeon and what vites did he tell you to take?

~Becky

aknipling
on 3/30/11 9:34 am
Dr. Barker is currently my Dr. but I might be changing. I am just trying the vitamins they gave me for now. I will talk with someone about it the next time I go in and see what options I have. I really just wanted to know what vitamins you guys are taking that you like so I can be prepared when I have my surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views