Kombucha teas?

DarcyMad
on 4/13/11 12:25 am - Cedar Park, TX
I'm all for healthy liquids.  I've recently gotten some bottled Kombucha tea.  Its a fermented Asian tea.  This one happens to be mixed with mango.

Its got some of the B vites, probiotics and natural acids in it.  BUT - it tastes like beer almost!  Its got a slight effervescence to it and it does have a fermented taste. 

Has anyone ever drank this?  I'm hoping it doesn't have an alcohol effect!  There is NO alcohol in it, even though it is fermented.  I just thought I should ask before I get into drinking too much of it!
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 12:47 am
My niece used to drink this stuff.  She made her own out of this thing that looked like a giant, stinky mushroom.  I couldn't get past the smell.

It would have to have some kind of miracle health benefit to get me to drink any.

Good luck,
Michele
jengo1971
on 4/13/11 4:24 am
On April 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM Pacific Time, DarcyMad wrote:
I'm all for healthy liquids.  I've recently gotten some bottled Kombucha tea.  Its a fermented Asian tea.  This one happens to be mixed with mango.

Its got some of the B vites, probiotics and natural acids in it.  BUT - it tastes like beer almost!  Its got a slight effervescence to it and it does have a fermented taste. 

Has anyone ever drank this?  I'm hoping it doesn't have an alcohol effect!  There is NO alcohol in it, even though it is fermented.  I just thought I should ask before I get into drinking too much of it!
It's VERY good for you (as all fermented foods are) and will NOT get you drunk!  Google it....very interesting info.  Enjoy!

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Kayla B.
on 4/13/11 6:11 am - Austin, TX
I know people that swear by its health benefits.

I personally can't get past the weird floaty stuff in it to even bother trying it, especially since I haven't heard too many good things about the taste.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
DarcyMad
on 4/13/11 7:05 am - Cedar Park, TX
The taste wasn't too awful.  Like I said, mine had mango puree in it so it masked the floaty stuff and the taste.  It tasted (to me) like a mimosa.  A little fruity but a little bitter bubbly. 

I read up on it online and I did hear some not-so-good things!  I"ve heard of damage to the liver and some sort of acidosis which has caused a few deaths.  Granted, these folks were drinking the stuff daily, which I would not do considering the price of the 1 small bottle!

I also found a drink with chia seeds in it.  It was another weird one...like drinking massively pulpy juice.  It was raspberry passionfruit flavored.  Not bad if you could get past the sensation in your mouth.  Can't say I "felt" any differently after drinking either one!  LOL
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 677 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1003 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views