Just a touch of Jitters in need of venting...

Porcy1
on 4/14/11 7:23 am - Franklin, WI
Hi! I am a newbie and my DS is scheduled for next Friday. (WOOHOO ) I don't believe I have posted here before , but i am on every single day reading and soaking up as much knowledge, experiences, and advice I possible can! I have learned SO MUCH from you all and I want you to know I am forever grateful for it all!
That being said, please bear with me for a second as I vent a bit. I have learned from reading numerous posts and also from my own personal experiences, that I will endure much ignorance from closed-minded, uneducated people when it comes to a DS...However, I am a bit upset by my very own father in the fact that he seems to support me, but keeps giving me this "I sure hope you know what you are doing" line that kinda offends me. I know he is concerned as I am his "baby girl", but you would think he would at least research a little bit and see the benefits of my decision? No, instead he listens to people who have had RNY's and others who "think" they know all about wls and really dont know *ish (excuse me).
I have a funny feeling this thinking comes from his wife, who's first words to me were, "why cant you just diet and exercise?" (mind you this woman has know me for 17 years and knows that I have had no luck with the whole diet and exercise thing). She also thinks I am being irresponsible because I have a baby who will be 1 on May 1st and she knows I will have difficulty lifting him and caring for him (I am staying with my VERY supportive mother post-op and she will have my baby). she says "how are you going to do it? why cant you wait?" wait until I am in a wheelchair because my bad knees and back have finally given out completely due to the excess weight? Wait until I cant play with him anymore because I am so tired and out of breath? What am I waiting for?  
I will wrap this up, sorry for the rambling...It just bothers me because no matter what I say, ignorance will always play the bigger role with them. It's not the same as the looks and snide remarks I get from co-workers and such, this is My Dad, ya know? Oh well, I know what I want, I know what I'm doing, and I know one day they will eat those words! I guess I had just hoped that they realized how much of an intelligent and responsible woman I have become.
Off to start my liquid diet soon! Thanks for listening and thanks again for EVERYTHING

Hey Jules
on 4/14/11 7:50 am
 (((Porcy))) It must be hard for you to not have his support. Just keep on with what you need to do. You've done your part and there is not much more you can do. Once you have your DS and the weight is effortlessly dropping off, maybe your Dad and step-mom will come around.

Next time he says, "I sure hope you know what you're doing." You should say, "Yes, I do. Do you? If not, I'd love to explain it to you or show you some websites that will help you to understand. This is very important to me and so are you and it would mean so much to me to have your support." Or, something like that.

Unfortunately we are going to have to deal with people for the rest of our lives who are ignorant to the DS. The best any of us can do is teach those who are willing to listen and ignore the rest.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

larra
on 4/14/11 9:05 am - bay area, CA
Welcome!
     Unfortunately, this ignorance is par for the course. My own mother (may she rest in peace) firmly believed that no one should have any sort of wls, because "that sort of thing" was all cosmetic.
     You know yourself. You have done your research and figured out that surgery is the right course of action, and determined which operation is best for you. You can't cure the world, or even your family, of ignorance. All you can do is go forward, and hopefully, when they see your improved health and happiness, they will get on board. But even if they don't, you have to live your own life.
      Best wishes to you.

Larra
Porcy1
on 4/14/11 9:43 am - Franklin, WI
 Thanks Jules...I will try to explain it to him...I thought he was more understanding of the whole thing when he drove me to my EGD and met Dr E, but then a few days later was talking the same as before...he is driving me to the hospital for surgery, so that will be my opportunity to try...
And Larra, I have done my research and did tell my dad just yesterday that I have researched so much that I am now researching my research!
You are both right though, it's my life, my decision, my body, and once the weight comes off, they will see for themselves...and even if they never get it, oh well, cuz I will be rockin my DS!
Thank you both!
I am so blessed to have support on this board
mhiggins
on 4/15/11 2:41 am
Sorry about your family, they can be rough sometimes, espically the "step-monsters" lol. Thats what I call my stepmom lol. anyways, thought id let u know for me the hardest part was the liquid diet, i even started wars on here b4 about it lol. in regards to your son, thats great your mom is helping you out, i had my daughters father take her for a while while i healed, and you are totally right, WHAT R U WAITING FOR!
Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Porcy1
on 4/15/11 2:58 am, edited 4/15/11 3:01 am - Franklin, WI
Thank u! I started my liquid diet today...grrrr....so far its not too bad, but it is only the first day! Gotta do what I gotta do tho...7 more days...
"Stepmonster!" haha I love it! Sometimes for sure!
Yes I am SO glad my mom is taking him...I only hope I can help out a least a little bit while I'm healing, so she won't get overwhelmed...he is VERY active!
Thanks again!
Oh and one more thing...I LOVE the new hair! Looks awesome!

mhiggins
on 4/15/11 3:16 am
lucky, i had to do 2 weeks of a liquid diet, SUCKED!!!!! omg. thanks ab the hair girl!
Leslie is my Angel*
[[ m i s s y ]]

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 380 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 830 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views