How critical was exercise to your weight loss success?

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 12:27 pm
Julie,

Resistance bands give a really good workout.  I'd highly recommend them. 

As for protein, it's 30 gm absorbed.  Thanks for clarifying!
jonathanac
on 4/16/11 11:45 pm - NY
On a scale of 1-10, somewhere around zero
Highest:454~Surgery:415~Current:227~Lost:227~Goal:220

AllieInOntario
on 4/17/11 1:24 am
I'm curious about the exercise issue when it comes to absorption and how muscles aid with it etc.   From what we "know"... it helps with bone strength.  So I'm curious about how keepint muscle mass factors into maintaining calcium and iron levels.   
(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 1:26 am
butercup
on 4/17/11 3:32 am - Kennewick, WA
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all of the feedback. I wanted to hear from people that have gone through it.

My cousin is a weight loss surgeon and my mother in law and other family members have gone to his practice for their surgeries. He only does the RNY and the Lapband, so I'm not going through him.

Anyway, he pushes a very stringent exercise routine. I live by my MIL and see her often. She's making sure I know that I better work really hard and exercise, exercise, exercise or I will fail. She's getting depressed because her weight regain has started, she's a RNY.

Now, don't get me wrong, exercise is one of things I'm looking forward to being able to do. I can't wait till I can ride a bike with my girls, or play softball with them, or even just walk around the mall without being in total pain and exhaustion. I don't want to spend 2 hours in a gym everyday and that's what I'm hearing from my other post-surgery peers. They have RNY's and Lapbands and wanted to hear from my soon to be fellow DSers.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback! You guys are helping me so much.
(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 3:56 am
Hi,

Daily reader but way less poster....with that said I am going to throw my 2 cents in.

I had not done any physical exercise since high school gym. After wls I started to work out with a trainer. Here are some of my reasons/opinions

1. Family history of heart disease, HTN, Diabetes, high lipids-hence added a cardio component to work out and/or leisure activities (biking)
2. My own history of diabetes, HTN, high lipids. Yes wls "cured" them but that is today, how about 10 years out?
3. Women and Osteo, add wls and the need for calcium supplementation-'nuff said there....
4. Although I had strong legs as many heavy people due to supporting our bodies, my upper body strength was weak (All my sons were getting ready to move out and if my dh wasn't home who would open up any jars/bottles and move heavy stuff around!)
5. Yes working your arms isn't going to eliminate skin but depending on your situation the muscle tone may make your arms look better by lifting/filling up the skin and if not and you still need PS. I think your results will be better.
6. The same thing can be said for the rest of your body abs, legs, etc. Think of getting the "under carriage" tightened before having the "body work" (PS) done.
7. I also east protein a least an hour before I work out and protein again within 30 minutes of completing.
8. I started working out at three months and yes I use a trainer for the reason that I know myself and if I don't have an appt I will eventually stop going. As for the money I think of it as part of my health plan. I used to have many doctor appt, medications, procedures....
8. Exercise does not have to be costly. It can be done without gym membership, trainers or very expensive equipment.
10. Regular exercise makes your body burn energy more effectively. For me I think this helps give me an edge on the occasional carb binge along with helping me with deal with stress and surgical menopause (hello-hot flashes that want to keep me up all night-even with estrogen replacement)

My workouts contain stretching, cardio, weight and Resistance band training. I also took up biking and just started kayaking too. I am trying to replace some of the time that DH and I used to use just sitting in front of the TV. I realize we just became empty nestors in the last year and a half and some of you with young families may not have the extra time that we do.

Sorry this was so long. Hope it helps you and anyone else.

Dot
callmeEJ
on 4/17/11 4:05 am - Minneapolis, MN
I'm still fairly early out, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have been doing a lot of mild exercise since about 3 weeks out; walking, hiking, low-impact aerobics, yoga, Wii Fit, just dancing when I hear a great song on my iPod. It's not really to be more "fit" or to lose weight faster, but just to enjoy moving my body and the fact that I can move a lot easier. If it is contributing to my success, that's great, but I am not going to really push myself hard until I've lost a bit more.
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
NoreenRT
on 4/17/11 9:44 am - Warner Robins, GA
weight loss..... 200 lbs
exercise.............0

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

KellyJTn
on 4/17/11 10:18 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I've been to the gym a total of 1 time, and I go on regular walks. I don't speed walk or jog. I just walk around the neighborhood at a leisurely pace with my kids. I do this 3-4 days a week. I didn't start doing that until a month ago. I'm currently 9 mths out and have lost 125 lbs.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 4/17/11 10:52 am
I'm only 4 months out. I'm not sure how much exercise is effecting my weight loss at the moment, but my normal everyday tasks have me walking 1-2 miles a day and I climb 12 building stories every day (sometimes 16). I've got nausea issues so I'm still not eating like I should and my energy is low. However, I know I have lost a TON of muscle mass, and my strength has decreased significantly. Once I'm able to eat more protein, I'm certainly going to do weight training to get it all back. 
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 979 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1170 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 441 views