How critical was exercise to your weight loss success?

butercup
on 4/16/11 2:11 pm - Kennewick, WA
I hear differing opinions on the subject.  I would like to know what all of your opinions are.  Is it better to just stick with weight training?  Would a combo of that and cardio be best?  Just cardio?  Just move yourself however?  Exercise will stunt your loss because your body is not getting enough caloric intake?  What has been your experience?

Rena H.
on 4/16/11 5:40 pm - Spokane, WA
i barely exercise. barely. I do sometimes -- For FUN. =]
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

MajorMom
on 4/16/11 7:16 pm - VA
I think my surgeon is here alone on his theory again but he only wants his patients to walk and do light weights during their losing phase. Once at goal, he says you can start building muscle back and all the rest. So, I walked and did occasional weights. Your mileage may vary (YMMV).

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 4/16/11 8:01 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I didn't exercise at all and lost 100% of my excess weight. However, four-plus years out I've become very aware of my loss of muscle mass, and that got me into the gym. I use the treadmill, elliptical trainer, a yoga ball and resistance band training. The latter two are still at levels better called physical therapy than exercise, but I'm making progress :-).
Kayla B.
on 4/16/11 9:15 pm - Austin, TX
Not at all to my success.  I do find at 3.5 years out that it is very difficult for me to lose without exercise though.

On another note, the muscle loss related to weight loss is not insignificant.  I just flat-out cannot, do not, will not believe the people that claim NO muscle loss during their rapid weight loss phase.  That would be really difficult and I actually don't think you can even make it past the first month without some lean muscle mass loss.

Plus exercise is good for your bones, which is so important in people like us with massive weight loss and the addition of calcium malabsorption.

I'd say if you're going to do anything, do weight training.  It'll help keep you strong and help preserve and regain lean muscle mass. 

I think this is a pretty touchy subject.  A lot of people don't like exercise.  Not even me.  In fact, I hate it.  Even hard ass Jillian Michaels from the Biggest Loser fame has said she hates it.  But, you really can't deny the positive effects on the body.

Soooo, in general, do as much as you can talk yourself into.  If the most you can get yourself to do is park far away and take the stairs instead of the elevator, fine.  Do cardio if you can.  But really consider weight training seriously.  So important.

And no, it doesn't help with excess skin, but it can improve the look of what is underneath.

And sorry to rattle on, but exercising can play horrible mind tricks on you in regards to the scale.  I always gain weight after exercising and it can be very defeating.  Exercising the muscles makes me swell up in water weight, and gaining muscle makes me gain weight in general.  Eventually it evens out and really changes the way the body looks and the way you are able to hold yourself.  I'm able to support my abdomen so much more when I exercise and notice a lot less of a tummy.

FWIW-I didn't start until I was over 1 year out and I was exhausted beyond belief when I started.  It can really kick your butt without enough calories.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Anna G.
on 4/16/11 10:37 pm
I've exercised a lot less than I did pre-op. I guess I don't feel the motivation as much when I see a hot chick in the mirror. ;)  I know I need weight training, but just haven't got into a steady habit of it. So no, it wasn't critical to my weight loss. But yes, weight training is what I SHOULD have been focusing on all along because I do feel the effects of muscle loss every time I try to open a heavy door!

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 10:59 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I hate exercise. I did it pre-op because I thought it was essential for weight loss (not that it worked for me, obviously!). Post-op, I joined a gym and went for a few weeks, then never again. We bought an elliptical, and I used it probably less than 10 times. So, no, I don't exercise. I never reached my ultimate goal weight, but I did lose more than 120 pounds and lost something like 80-something percent of my excess weight, but I don't think not exercising has had anything to do with me not yet reaching my goal.
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 11:30 pm
This is my personal opinion and was also backed up at a recent weight loss conference I attended:  resistance training is the best single exercise a bariatric patient can do. 

Another revelation was  that it takes a load of at least 30 gm of protein to stimulate muscle synthesis.  Anything less than 30 gm at a meal and we are losing muscle mass - especially if not doing resistance training.  That means we all lose muscle mass at least early out from surgery because we're doing good to get 30 gm in a day.  This may also have ramifications for grazers who don't bolus protein content during the day (cue the importance of whey protein drinks. . .).     

We went for a walk as a group around Baltimore with our resistance bands in hand and used them with the environment to get our resistance training accomplished.  We'd wrap them around stop signs, trees, fence rails, light posts, etc and go to town doing different resistance exercises.  It was a blast.

We also used exercise balls for mild resistance training and core strengthening.  For no more than we did, my stomach was sore for a week.

I firmly believe these are the only pieces of exercise equipment a bariatric patient needs to help maintain muscle mass and strengthen the core muscles.  A video or two might not be a bad idea either.  That, combined with weightbearing exercise such as walking should be a very sensible workout regimen. 

The further I've gone in my weight loss journey, the more I've found I 'want' to exercise.  It's not to lose weight or maintain weight loss, but a way to constructively burn the excess energy I now have.  I walk, run, jog everywhere.  I don't park closest to the store (much to my children's chagrin).  We hike and climb mountains at Palo Duro Canyon and have a blast. 

I would personally choose to lose weight more slowly if it meant maintaining muscle mass in the long run.  It is easier to maintain muscle mass and tone a little extra with resistance exercises and protein boluses than it is to regain lost muscle mass. 
GD6
on 4/17/11 2:44 am - Hamilton, Canada
Julie R.
on 4/17/11 11:06 am - Ludington, MI
 This is fascinating, Steve.    I do not do much exercise in the winter, and should be.  I HATE the cold and get mild seasonal affective disorder.   By the time I get home from work, it's the last thing I want to do is head to the gym or to zumba class.   I'm a real loser that way.    However, once nice weather kicks in, I can't move enough.    When I'm off for the summer, I walk at least three miles a day on the beach or ride my bike.    I take zumba, etc.     Do you think that during the winter time, if I just get a set of bands and do those at home, I'll be able to maintain adequate muscle mass?    

Also, is the 30 gram bolus of protein a normie count or a DS count?  Does that mean we need 60 g?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 715 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1020 views