Mexico DR. because I'm a self pay

kc97038
on 4/20/11 3:15 am
WHO, WHERE would you recommend in Mexico for DS? dsfacts.com only has 1 DR in mexico, I live in Oregon and would be willing to find a surgeon close by but can't afford the high cost or find a DR.

It's not easy to find a surgeon who has had a good track record. Being as my insurance has an exception to WLS I have to self pay.  
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 3:28 am, edited 4/20/11 3:29 am
Dr. Ungson in Hermasillo is the only DS surgeon in Mexico. He is an excellent surgeon.

There are others who say they do it but I wouldn't trust my life to them.

There are NO DS surgeons in Oregon.

HTH,
Michele

ETA: read this thread also: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4374254/Best-DS-surgeon -for-self-pay/
Sarah_Anne
on 4/20/11 3:38 am, edited 4/20/11 3:42 am
I would try Dr Stewart in TX.  He has really competative rates for self-pay patients.  Link here.
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 3:45 am
Yep, Dr. Stewart charges $22,750 (as of last month) for a DS, done Lap.  That price includes surgeon, assistant, hospital, anesthesia, and all meds needed while in the hospital.  You'll have to likely fly out, stay two days before surgery in a hotel, and then three to four days after you're discharged at a hotel.  I paid around $25,000 total for my DS, travel and lodging.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 4:01 am - Lancaster, OH
Dr. Ungson is the only DS surgeon in Mexico.

If you value your health (and life) you will not go to any others in Mexico who call themselves DS surgeons.

I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Ungson, a bariatric surgeon and gastroenterologist.  He is very competent, surrounds himself with competent staff and works in a very nice facility.  The most recent infomation I read was that his open DS is $13,000.  That's surgery, anesthesia, hospital stay and private nurse to check up on you while you recuperate at a local hotel.
KAREN S.
on 4/20/11 4:27 am - MIAMI, FL
Hey there..I can second your opinion about Dr. Ungson.  I had surgery in March of '04 with him and he and his whole staff were amazing.  I had another friend who went to him too..she was impressed also. 
I paid 10,000.00 back then so 13,000.00 isn't that bad considering inflation.  I was 260 and am no 133 and very happy with the results....
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 5:06 am - Lancaster, OH
Wow! 7 years!  Congrats.
I paid $12,000 in 2007.  Started at 310, got down to 140 (not good -- I wasn't eating as I should have been and darn near died from malnutrition.  Entirely my fault)  Anyway, I'm back in the 180's, which is a good place for me.  I feel good.
Glad your experience was a good one.
I can tell you that without this website, and the very vocal LeaAnn and Goodkel, I wouldn't have considered going out of country.  It was one of the better decisions I've made in my life, though.
Elizabeth N.
on 4/20/11 5:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
You might try contacting Dr. Steven Simper in Salt Lake. But you are not going to find a better price than Dr. Ungson, and he is the ONLY real DS surgeon in Mexico. Do NOT believe any other messages to the contrary that you might receive now that you have posted this.

Fade2Pink
on 4/20/11 8:28 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Simper in Salt Lake is a bit on the pricer side of self-pay.  mine was about 28k when all was said and done...and I live 3 miles from his office and 10 from the hospital, so no travel or hotel expenses included in that.
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Elizabeth N.
on 4/20/11 8:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ah, thanks. It's still a lot cheaper to travel to PA, TX or Mexico at those prices,especially to Mexico.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 733 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1033 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 346 views