anyone unhappy with their DS

Tammy R.
on 4/21/11 1:19 am - Covina, CA
Iy looks like you gained bach about 20lbs. Do you know why?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:35 am - Lancaster, OH
Hi, Tammy,
I can't answer for her, but if you click on her "latest posts" you'll see that she has been working on this, and has been a regular contributor to the "bites, vites and exercites" threads, so, that might help you to get a picture of the post-op life, too.
delano1972
on 4/21/11 2:41 am - North Platte, NE
I absolutely know why I gained and did not get to goal. It is my own fault, not the surgeries. I hate to admit it.....but I can. I made VERY poor choices in food and drink. I ate candy anytime I chose too, and not just a bite, the whole damn bar.

Surgery fixes your body NOT your mind. You alone have to be accountable for the crap you shovel in your mouth. I did not eat protein first (I drank protein shakes to get protein in), instead I ate bread, tortilla shells, basically anything I wanted which is what caused me to be obese in the first place. Eating was restricted by the size of my stomach but the choices of what to eat were still mine and I "like" food. I do not suffer many ill effects of poor food choices so it is easy to make poor choices.

With the DS you have a window of opportunity for about 12-18 months then the "free ride" is over (at least that was my perception which is GROSSLY inaccurate). Had I taken full advantage of my "window" I would have probably gone past my goal. My surgeon also leaves a longer common channel so I do feel that made it easier for me to gain some back. But the absolute bottom line is that you cannot drink 64oz's of Mountain Dew (and not diet) and expect not to gain weight.

I am fully aware and accountable for my weight gain and know that it was my choices that have gotten me back to 174 pounds. I am working on that, now eating low carb, high protein and I have lost some of the weight I gained. Accountability is everything so I am posting daily on the food log here and it does help.

Michelle
Highest 242/Surgery 235/Goal 150/Lowest 158/Current 184 (Started working off regain and heading to goal 02/02/12.)    

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 3:19 am - Lancaster, OH
Michelle,
I so admire your attitude and your actions concerning this.
I wish you every success in getting to your goal.

Thank you for allowing others to learn from you this way.
Tammy R.
on 4/26/11 3:36 am - Covina, CA
Thank you for your honesty. Thats the kind of stuff I need to hear.
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 12:52 pm
 The day I got to the hotel after my revision to the DS I realized I was doing already better then I did with the band that I had for 2 1/2 years. I was able to swallow without instinctively checking that it (liquids) would go down without sliming or PBing. The pain in my left shoulder and under my left ribs was gone, and I felt better 2-3 days after the DS surgery then I did when I had the band.
I eat better and enjoy it more.
I'm getting close to 2 years now and doing great, I'm "normal", well in my weight anyway. The only time I have an issue, is when I eat large amount of empty calories, like white bread, cookies etc. I get stinky gas that will last through the night, but once I've "gone" I'm fine. 
I eat high protein, I do fine with a normal amount of complex carbs, but I do limit simple carbs to the occasional treat like when we eat out or if it is a special occasion, for some reason I can eat good Bakery Sourdough Bread and get no gas. 
I now where a size 4 or small/med. in clothing. My diabetes is gone, so is high bp, high cholesterol, I feel so normal.

Good Luck with your decision.

duncans
on 4/20/11 1:02 pm
My doc has a reputation for not making tummies small enough and common channels short enough. I am at a reasonable weight for my height and bone structure, but certainly not ideal.  I am fairly content with my 4 yr postop body.
However, despite the generous set-up that I must have, I am having to heavily supplement. I take nearly 5K cal citrate, 200K vit D3, 75K vit A, etc. a day. Since I also  take T3 and T4 and strontium (and when you add all of the vitamin do-&-dont's : thyroid meds on empty stomach, away from calciu, and strontium, calc and strontium away from each other, zinc away from copper, etc., I take supplements 8 x's a day. I am not a neurotic, compulsive person that gets into all this. I would love to simplify the "schedule". My endo says this is abt as trim as I can tweak it. I hate this. I feel like I am running a race every day to get it all in. And there isn't a break. The very next day I have to do it all over again.
That being said, it is still worth it. Having the weight gone is wonderful. Yes, I'd do it again, even knowing all of the pills that I swallow every day (abt 50). Thank God I do not have any trouble swallowing pills! I can take a fistful down in one gulp. Rather proud of that, I am!
There really isn't a way to know preop if you will be the person that has to supplement heavity or minimally. I suspect that once females experience menopause, their vitamin needs will markedly change(if no HRT). If you have trouble swallowing pills, or can't be pretty darn diligent, I would not consider the DS. That being said, for me it was the DS or nothing. I would never have gone the RNY route. Too many negatives for me. The sleeve, perhaps.
Susan

PattyL
on 4/20/11 1:25 pm
 Easy.  For the first time in my life I can eat like a normal person and maintain a normal weight.  I can eat anything but some choices are better than others.  For me, the DS has been pretty effortless as far as day to day life goes.

The only thing I would change is that I wish I would have had the DS at about.....12 or so.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/20/11 1:28 pm - Tuvalu

After almost three years with the band, you probably know from stupid diet rules that don't help you lose weight and probably (if you had an experience like mine) make you search for the restroom as soon as you enter a restaurant because you never know what will make you barf and you have to know where the toilets are in a hurry.  if you go for the RnY, you get  whole NEW set of stupid diet rules.

Go see Keshishian in Glendale or--if you are good at handling massive bureaucracies that send you through voice mail hell and keep you waiting on hold forever--see Crookes at USC hospital...the one that's near the footbridge over the 10 right near Cal State LA.

You'll get your life back and lose weight, too.

sbp7
on 4/20/11 1:38 pm - Munster, IN
I have some food sensitivity. White flour, milk, protein shakes make me feel like I have butterflies whizzing around in my gut. But if I take my time, I.can sit down and eat a nice size steak or a half slab of ribs! I feel like I can eat all the time, like I'm not on a diet at all.

The numbers speak for themselves: I have lost 120 pounds in 105 days!

This is the best I've felt in 15 years!
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views