20 Month Follow Up Post Op DS Lactose Intolerant?!

Rita Lucero
on 4/25/11 5:16 am, edited 4/25/11 11:58 pm - Frisco, TX
Amazingly enough, it has been nearly 20 months since I had my Duodenal Switch procedure.  I happen to be at my highest post-op weight range (I fluctuate between 125-135).  I am over 91% excess weight loss and doing great.

I do have a few symptoms that came up in the last month and that is all I have to talk about that is negative.  I believe I am lactose intolerant.  When I have dairy, I seem to get extreme cramping, bloating, gas and more bowel movements.  It's not pleasant.  

My labs came back and I was high on B12 but that is because I drink energy shots/drinks.  I was a tad low on D3 but I am prescribed D and forgot to take it the previous week before I was tested.  I was all good in all other areas. Pasta does bloat me and makes me feel icky so I don't have it very often.

I will be 33 next month (May 2011) and I am doing great.  

I am starting a probiotic today as directed by my surgeon and then in a week I will start Xifaxan (rifaximin) 550 mg tablets.  This is to help with the excessive bacterial buildup in my digestive tract/colon.

I just wanted to check in.  I am doing fabulous.  No complications whatsoever.  I just have to watch my food intake more (18+ months out) and keep active.  But, who doesn't.

I love my DS!!! **I am posting here as a reference to pre op and post op DS patients & not so much for a persons opinion**

Rita78
Rita Lucero
Omaha, Nebraska

Rita78, Dallas Texas, 39 yrs. DS 9-4-09 Aetna Dr. Gary Anthone, Omaha NE

IVF & Twins 2012
www.facebook.com/ritalucero

beemerbeeper
on 4/25/11 5:28 am - AL
How low is low D?  As far as I know that prescription D isn't going to help you a bit.  You need DRY D and I'm very surprised that you don't already take DRY D along with DRY A, E and K.

I would be interested in seeing all your labs.

I've been lactose intolerant since surgery and am only a month behind you.  I can do cheese, cream, ice cream, just not milk.  Have you tried one of the many forms of milk without lactose?

~Becky

Rita Lucero
on 4/25/11 5:40 am - Frisco, TX
I am going to get a copy of them this week- I didn't think of it at the office.  The low D3 wasn't low enough for them to do anything different.  My endocrinologist has me on D and not D3.  The lactose issue is totally new.  I have found in the last week of watching my dairy intake, my symptoms have dramatically lessoned... however, I am going to do the probiotic and antibiotic as indicated by my surgeon today and go from there.  Who knows- maybe its not dairy at all.

IVF & Twins 2012

beemerbeeper
on 4/25/11 6:18 am - AL
You and your endocrinologist obviously need some education.  I'm going to ask some Vitamin experts to come post to you about what vitamins you do and don't absorb after the DS.

~Becky

Rita Lucero
on 4/25/11 6:21 am - Frisco, TX
BEEMBERBEEPER- YOUR RUDE

IVF & Twins 2012

amccu18007
on 4/25/11 6:27 am - Newark, DE
 She wasn't trying to be rude. She was trying to help. We as DS'rs don't absorb vitamins that are in oil. D is in oil. You need a dry D3 which should bring your numbers up. Also, please get your lab sheet. You might want to track your labs so you can see for yourself how all of your vitamins are looking. You can not take your doctors word for it as they ONLY look for if a vitamin falls on the high or low side of normal. You need to see if they are trending down so you can catch it BEFORE it becomes a huge problem. Good luck to you.
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/11 1:27 am - Lancaster, OH
On April 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM Pacific Time, rita78 wrote:
BEEMBERBEEPER- YOUR RUDE

RITA,

IT'S "YOU'RE", AND DON'T YOU KNOW THAT IT'S RUDE TO YELL AT PEOPLE ON AN INTERNET FORUM?

larra
on 4/25/11 6:19 am - bay area, CA
Your endocrinologist may not realize that prescription D is packaged in oil, and because of this you aren't going to absorb it very well. Many medical professionals don't know, or don't take into account, how drugs are formulated, they just know the name and amount and think it's good. For others, it may be great. For us, not so much.
     Get the dry D. It should do the trick.

Larra
Blank Out
on 4/25/11 6:23 am
 You need to be taking dry D!  I take 50,000 IUs per day of dry D3, and my D is only in the low normal range.  I order from Vitalday.com  She is the only one who has dry D3 in that strength.  I hate taking more vitamins than I have to.    Good luck!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

newyorkbitch
on 4/25/11 6:35 am, edited 4/25/11 6:36 am
You can order it on Amazon.  For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-D3-50-Biotech-Pharmacal-Capsules/dp/B000A0F2B2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1303763490&sr=8-9

Only 50 cents more than vitalady.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 484 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 905 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 304 views