Got a date..May 18th now I have a feeling I'm not ready... Help me please!

EricW
on 5/2/11 10:37 am - Kettle Falls, WA
I don't know if you have always been heavy or not but I was since birth.  Pre-op I was 6'1" and 420-430 lbs depending on seconds the night before.  I was a big whiskey drinking, bar fighting, nail chewing dude that was so scared of needles and hospitals I would nearly pee myself just thinking about them.

I used a couple thoughts at 2 weeks out.  One was all the images that my doc explained to me of the diabetic death and how slow and miserable it is.  I thought of all my health complications and the effects they had already had on those around me that I love.  I have always been the type of person who would do way more for someone else's benefit than I ever would for myself, I bet you are that way too.  Think of what you would be asking of your loved ones to do in caring for you and worrying for you as your health becomes reduced if you don't see this through.  You know you won't put them through that we you have such a clear choice you can take.

The other thing I thought of daily as a short timer was just how it might feel to be of a normal BMI.  I pictured myself in a pair of 501 Levi's, I pictured myself in motorcycle chaps, I saw myself actually fitting into booths to eat and small cars of my friends and family.  I pictured myself never needing to ask the stewardess for a lap belt extension ever again.  I just kept seeing myself as my doc and others on here told me I would be.

My plan was good and my 2 weeks went by with lots of smiles among the nerves.  The one thing I missed was just how good the good was going to be.  YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW GOOD HEALTH IS GOING TO FEEL.  I HONESTLY FEEL LIKE A GUY OUT OF PRISON.  I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD DAY SINCE MY SURGERY, NO KIDDING.  LIFE IS SO GOOD AND I FEEL SO GOOD ABOUT IT.  I WEAR 501'S EVERYDAY AND SO LOOK FORWARD TO IT EACH MORNING.  YOU ARE IN FOR SOME BIG 'OL HAPPY MY LADY......THINK ABOUT ALL THE GOOD THINGS YOU ARE GOING TO THINK AND FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF THEN DOUBLE IT.  LIFE POST-OP IS THAT GOOD.  WAY BETTER THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE.  I HAD NO IDEA, STILL DON'T.

You hang in there and use what ever it takes to get ya to the door on your big day.  I would honestly go through the surgery and recovery yearly to keep feeling like this.  Health really is that good.  Who knew.  All the best to you for taking the brave steps, the end of the rainbow is 2 weeks out for you, I have been there and it is GOOD.  EW
Lisa A.
on 5/2/11 12:04 pm - Windsor, NY
I might get beat up for saying this but if you feel your not ready to do this than I would postpone it. It is a HUGE life change. Do you know what to expect on the other side? If not, then you need to start reading about how life will change on the other side. Yes, I know people talk about a better quality of life they have and that is fantastic and does happen but for some it takes quite awhile to get there.

Just please read, read, read and make yourself informed about the after care this surgery requires for life. Talk to some of the veterans on this board. You will recognize them. They post a ton of good advice and are very knowledgable and then when you are fully informed, listen to your gut and make your decision. Good luck to you, I wish you well :)

(deactivated member)
on 5/2/11 12:32 pm
I totally understand this. I was freaking out up until right before I was brought in the operating room for my revision. I wanted surgery so bad, but the thought of going under the knife again freaked me out. The anestheseologist gave me some drugs to calm me down.

Just try and relax and remember why you're having surgery. This is to be healthier and live a better life.

Best of luck
galla1
on 5/2/11 11:25 pm
Thank you  ALL very much for your replies... I have read these several times today.. you all had some good advice.. I will get through this.. thanks 
zuzupetals2u2
on 5/4/11 1:06 pm - Sedona, AZ
I haven't read the other replies but I did feel that way once myself and decided to think about it for  a year. Of course I did end up doing it but I was more sure and ready. It's a big step - you don't have to rush.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 12 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 12 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1089 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1266 views
Need help for my mom