Calcium Malate

TaliTali
on 5/15/11 8:53 am - Sammamish, WA
I'm looking at a calcium supplement that contains the following:

Calcium (as calcium citrate / malate / carbonate / ascorbate)  2 pills = 500mg

It's recommended that we take calcium citrate and not carbonate, but what about malate and ascorbate?

If one were to take these pills how many would they need to take in a day?

A unique feature of these is that they are ultra-fine super soluble powder in capsules, not the horse pills that require the stomach to break them down. Would this affect absorption positively for us?

Thanks,
Tracey

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

beemerbeeper
on 5/15/11 9:19 am - AL
I would try to take Calcium Citrate only.  I take 6 doses of Calcium Citrate (Walmart brand) a day.  630 per dose x 6 doses.  I just bought a large bottle of Calcium Citrate at Walmart for $9.00.

If the calcium you is made of of citrate and carbonate (and other types) I don't know how you will know how much of it is citrate.  And citrate is what you need.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/11 9:22 am, edited 5/14/11 9:23 pm
I would be willing to bet that most of the calcium in this pill is carbonate due to carbonate being the least expensive.

There are some studies out on the calcium malate and they are favorable as far as absorption.

I have found calcium citrate in capsules several places and Vitalady carries it in capsules.

I wouldn't take them, because of the carbonate, but of course, it is up to you whether you do or not.

Michele

ETA: Due to the mixture of these you won't be able to tell how much elemental calcium you are getting.
Kathleen F.
on 5/15/11 9:47 am
Yeah, I would hesitate to take a mixture like this. There are a number of companies that sell calcium citrate in capsules which is how I take all my calcium. 
gak
on 5/15/11 2:18 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Tracey,
Check the ingredients closely. I took a calcium malate for awhile and then found out they had more carbonate than malate or citrate in them. I read somewhere that malate is very absorbable, but when you add carbonate to it, it slows it down.  My labs started to tank on me, which was also a time when they changed the formula of the malate. It is definitely cheaper to take calcium citrate.

Read your labels carefully ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/11 2:22 pm - Yorktown, VA
Skip it and move on.  I only count citrate towards my calcium intake as this is the only form I know is really getting absorbed and you have no way of knowing how much of that 500mg is citrate.

I like vitalady's calcium citrate only.  There are 600mg of citrate in 2 capsules.  They're not too big and are easy to swallow.  I aim for 4 doses of 2 pills (so 8 a day), but sometimes only get in 3 doses (or 6 a day).
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views