Cigna health insurance

maria_2007
on 5/17/11 5:16 am
 Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Cigna Insurance.I m hoping to have the Duodenal switch and wondering if anyone has any experience with them.With the wait for approval or anything else.
Thanks for your help
Bonnie R.
on 5/17/11 9:00 am - Stratford, CT
 I have Cigna and my surgery was approved very quickly once I provided them with everything they needed.  I was approved in only about 2 weeks and then scheduled my surgery.

maria_2007
on 5/18/11 12:07 am
 Thanks for writing me back,my surgeon thinks its not going to be a problem,but after I talked to Cigna I realized that I dont have 6 months with a physician for a supervised diet,I have been trying it on my own for years...So I am not sure if I will have to wait another 6 months....
J J the Jet Plane
on 5/17/11 10:56 am
I have Cigna and I have to have:

the 6mo diet history and
tried pharmaceutical intervention
and the last five years of doctor visit history of weight and height. 

I finish my 6 month in June-- so I will tell you how the approval goes. 
On my avatar it says my surgery is 8/8 but to change to my DS surgeon I had to choose a date.- So I picked one that might be a reality.

Awterpop
on 5/17/11 11:00 am
I also have Cigna....depends on your plan what you're regime will be.  My company (plan) required 6 mo's of supervised dr visits, nutritional counseling, and a regime of other things...but it's something that I was very serious about and didn't mind shooting through all the paper work, doctor visits..it's worth it in the end.  Just be sure to find out what your out of pocket expenses and deductible is, and go for it.  Best decision I ever made. Once my DS surgeon submitted the paper work, I was approved in 3 days!
Cindy       
lisarn
on 5/17/11 11:04 am - Omaha, NE
I also have Cigna, and once I had all the requirements done, they were very quick getting the approval sent. 
Every employers policy maybe different, so make sure to find out what your policies requirements are. I had to do a 6 month medically supervised diet, psych eval, dietician appt., plus they wanted 5 years of medical records showing that I had been obese that whole time. Make sure to get it in writing though, or have your surgeons office find out. Over the phone someone from Cigna told me that I had to have a bmi over 50. (That really wasn't a problem anyway, unfortunatetly).
Also, Cigna did not approve that my gallbladder come out, or that they do a liver biopsy during my DS (or with any wls the letter said).
They were very fast at sending responses back out. Usually within a day or two after the surgeons office faxed them what they needed.
Good Luck!
Lisa

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views