OMG the Protein!

kat08
on 5/17/11 10:00 am - Matthews, NC
Y'all, I need help with protein.  I am 5 days out from surgery, only on the 3rd day of my 3 week liquid diet and the protein part is hard.  I have samples from Chikke, Champion whey stack, Syntrax nectars & Unjury.  I have tried the carribbean punch, the fruit punch and the lemon tea flavors from Syntrax nectars and I HATE all of them!  Gross!  Is there a nectar flavor that you like?  Do you prepare it other than with jus****er?  I have to be on a liquid diet so I can't add fruits to a smoothie or anything like that.  I can add a little bit of clear or strained juices like apple or grape if I need to.  I'm doing well with milk so far so the Champion flavors are going down well mixed with milk - the chocolate is good and the cookies & cream is ok.  Unjury...meh...I had the chicken soup.  It was ok but I don't want any more of it.  Today I mixed some of the unflavored Unjury with beef broth.  It's ok but it still has a strange flavor. 

Y'all, please help.  I have to do this for about 20 more days!
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
MajorMom
on 5/17/11 10:04 am - VA
3 weeks of liquid diet, post-op?  

Calling Dr Sudan's patients!! Did all y'all have to do 3 weeks of nothing but liquids?  Why?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

girlygirl1313
on 5/17/11 12:47 pm - Davidson, NC
 That's Duke's blanket protocol for every surgery type.  I made it about 10-12 days before I started phasing in some soft foods once a day.  Other Sudan DSers also did not make it 3 weeks.  Now, I am NOT saying don't follow orders!  But 3 weeks did seem a bit excessive to me.  ~GG

Mdae
on 5/17/11 1:58 pm
 My surgeon also advocates 40 days of liquid total (10 pre-op).

butercup
on 5/18/11 5:25 am - Kennewick, WA
Oh crap!  That's my surgeon!  I don't know if I can do that.
Mdae
on 5/18/11 5:47 am
 it's really not so bad, the insurance required 6 month diet is worse (i just figured...  if it's the last diet i ever need to do, i can handle it).  go to the support group at the tukwila sizzlers on the second saturday of the month, 3pm.  you'll meet lots of his patients.  i can't think of any that aren't lovely and fabulous successes.

newyorkbitch
on 5/17/11 10:26 pm
I'm not a Sudan patient - I'm a Gagner patient (11 years ago)...i was never on a liquid diet except for 48 hours post-op in the hospital.

Bronwen
on 5/20/11 12:40 am - Wilmington, DE
Me too, and me neither.  I was given some basic instruction from the nutritionists and a guide to follow, but was also told to advance as tolerated.  I was on soft foods on the second day in the hospital - mashed vegetable puree (blech!) and oatmeal (double blech!).  I feel so bad for these post-ops who have to follow the liquids-only protocols.  I understand they're necessary if the surgeon uses a Valtrek ring to form the anastomosis, but if not, c'mon!!
sw:298/cw:152/no goal set
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open."  --J.K. Rowling,  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

bldeck
on 5/17/11 10:08 am - Farmington, NM
I liked the Nectar Pink grapefruit mixed it with 4oz of water.  A lot of people added crushed ice to make it more smoothie like.

I now drink the Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Double Rich Chocolate with 8oz of half n half.  I ordered almost 11 different chocolate single servings before I settled on the Optimum Nutrition. 
Protein is an issue, you just have to keep after it.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

MajorMom
on 5/17/11 10:08 am, edited 5/16/11 10:09 pm - VA
Sorry, I didn't answer your question. I can't stand the fruity protein shakes either. I like the Nectar chocolate truffle, vanilla, and strawberry mousse mixed with 1/2 & 1/2 (you might want to use Lactaid milk or low carb almond milk). I also like to mix IDS MultiPro vanilla-cinnamon with 1/2 & 1/2 and add hot coffee or chai tea.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein