Vitamin Questions/Vitalady chewables

lisarn
on 5/18/11 4:30 am - Omaha, NE
OK, surgery is next week. I went to Vitalady's site to order up my vites, and saw the "New" link on the home page for a DS starter kit, clicked it and saw the option that has mostly chewables next to the regular ones.
My question: Should I get the chewables? How many of you had to have mostly chewables at first?
I will have a feeding tube for at least 3 weeks, more if I can't do solids. So do I really need to get the chewables?
If I get the regular starter kit, I should be able to crush up the pills to put in the feeding tube, if I can't take the pills, right? I used to do that all time when I was in nursing school for my patients that had peg/j tubes.

I know that I have read and read that my main concern the first few weeks is hydration then followed by protein then followed by vitamins, so even if I didn't get them in the tube for a bit, I should be ok for a little bit right?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lisa

HW/SW/CW/GW:   294/288/170.2/150  ht: 5'2" (06/03/2012)

Elizabeth N.
on 5/18/11 6:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
I didn't use any chewables, except for a few for calcium, and also some liquid and powdered calciums. But I was on calcium horse pills by a couple months out, too. I think chewables are gross, not to mention expensive.

MajorMom
on 5/18/11 6:47 am - VA
You're going to want to start your vitamins slowly regardless of capsules, tablets or chewables. I never did a lot of chewables but I was able to take capsules without a problem. The bigger horse pill tablets, I cut in 1/2 to take.

At first you may want to start with multivitamins, calcium and D3 (or what ever is indicated by your labs as low). Then as you get more comfortable, start adding more of Vitalady's plan.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

dakota80
on 5/18/11 1:18 pm - TX
 Yes, you can crush your vitamins. Flavored vitamins or vitamins with sugar usually have a higher osmolality and this may cause GI upset immediately after surgery. I'd go with what the vets below are telling you and just stick with the basics in crushed form. :D why will you require the feeding tube? ng or peg? I can't imagine it is a j tube. Which formula will they use? just curious. :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 802 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1079 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views