oh, my aching knees... vitamin deficiency?

blondegal
on 5/20/11 12:26 pm - CT
Hi All,

I'm about 3 months out from surgery and within the past week, I've had a LOT of pain walking up and down stairs.  I've never had problems with my knees before, and find this worrisome. 

I got my labs back (run last week) and everything appears good; my D is on the lower side, but not troubling.  I've had low D before the DS. 

Any idea what I should be looking at by way of labs to determine what's going on?  I'm also having trouble with my shoulders too -- almost seems like I'm having "cartiledge" issues.  Is there anyone who has had these problems, or a recommendation as to what I can supplement with? 

Thanks in advance...

beemerbeeper
on 5/20/11 1:27 pm - AL
D on the "lower side" *is* troubling to me.  We want our D to be OVER 100.  How low is "on the lower side"?

This is what I have seen work for a lot of folks:

Put your labs on a spreadsheet, starting with any/all pre-op labs you had.  Then you can track TRENDS and make adjustments BEFORE your labs are tanked (hopefully).

Then, post that spreadsheet here along with a complete list of what vites/supplements you take.  The lab gurus here (and they REALLY know their stuff) will advise you.

The help is here.  You just have to access it.

Most surgeons and most pcps are not as knowledgeable about our labs/vites/supplements as these vets who have lived it. 

~Becky

unewillow
on 5/20/11 1:37 pm - CT
When I was 3 months out I tarted to have pain in my knees as well. I talked to my surgeon about it and he said that it's not uncommon to have joint pain during those months of rapid weight loss mainly due to your changing body mechanics. How your body carries around your weight changes and when there's less weight your gait changes. Not to mention most of us are exercising more than we had pre-op. Mine cleared up within a week or 2.

MajorMom
on 5/20/11 7:30 pm - VA
It could very well be from your weight redistributing and not necessarily vitamins. However, you want to make sure you're taking : Vitamin A 100,000IU; Vitamin B-12 5,000mcg; Vitamin C 2,000mg; Vitamin D3 50,000IU; Vitamin E 800IU; Vitamin K-1 1,000mcg; 1 B-50 Complex; 2 Complete Multi-Vitamin/Mineral; Calcium Citrate 1800mg (elemental); Copper 2mg; Iron 300mg (elemental); Magnesium Citrate 280mg (elemental); Zinc 100mg; Vitamin B-9 Folic Acid 1,200mcg. Once you get labs back you can tweak up or down, or give these more time to work. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 5/21/11 3:18 am - AL
Would you post the link to VLs pre-op vitamin plan and any info on what labs people need pre-op?  Also anything about protein pre-op.  Some new folks are asking.

THANKS,

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 816 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views