Appointment With Dr Roslin update - I have a Dialated Esphogus since Sept!

Jody W.
on 6/2/11 2:01 pm - Windsor, CT
Ok.... I need a little help with this one... I mean I am feeling so many emotions at the same time.... I don't even know how to sort them out.... So on Wednesday I took the day off to go to my surgical consult with Dr Roslin.... As soon as he gets my file and sends directly over to the hospital to have an upper GI.... I go right over and get the upper GI and go back (btw it was HOT as the devil in NEW York City) He looks at the results and he says the band has to come right out!!! He says that I have a dilated esophagus ...He says you knew this right?.... I told him no... I had no idea.... He said it is right here in the notes... so basically I was sitting there since September when my last upper GI with a dilated esophagus and no one told me.... I was floored.... the notes from the radiology place states the issue.... My next issue is that the notes from my surgeon says that I had given up and started maladaptive eating... DR Roslin was PISSED.... and so was I.... !! I can not believe they did not inform me that I was having an issue and then  turn around and blame me for the band failure.... GEESH!!!!!
The Band Friendly office of Dr Darren Tishler from Hartford Hospital.... I just wanna do something about this ... but I don't know what....
But what I am doing is getting the band out ASAP and getting the DS.... Next is the appointment with the NUT and the Psych..... I missed those appointments with getting sent to the upper GI....
It was a crazy day!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Janine P.
on 6/2/11 2:40 pm - Long Island, NY
If Dr. Tishler's notes are pure bull**** go somewhere else and have the test redone with new notes that do not BLAME you for this crap.

Unbe-effing-lievable...

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Ann M.
on 6/2/11 3:46 pm - GA
Not surprised. I have a dilated esophagus from the band as well. On the upside, it will probably increase the likelihood and speed of insurance approval for a revision.

Of course its you fault (this is sarcasm btw) it certainly wouldn't be the band or the aftercare.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

airbender
on 6/2/11 6:15 pm

megaesophagus is a common band complication that increases linearly over time and not unexpected.   they should have completely deflated you to take the pressure off the LES, that will help from worsening your esophogus, Dr Roslin can also completly deflate you, obviously, he is stupendous with band to DS.  It is also common to develop a maladaptive eating disorder with the lap band due to the structural changes the lap band causes over time to the esophagus. forget about dr Tisher's office, have dr Roslin take over your care, he is intensly protective of his patients, you are in good hands.   When the lap band was going throug clinical trials one of the cautions the FDA gave inamed was due to esophogeal structural changes, hence the FDA gave a conditional approval for the lap band, but the lap band essentially replace VGB and took off like fire.  Australia and europe are about 10 years ahead of the US when it comes to lap band, and they have obsoleted it, that should be a learning lesson to the US......

Caleña M.
on 6/2/11 8:28 pm

What airbender said.

I also was blamed by my lap band doctor for its failure.  He refused to see me unless I went through some ridiculous "start over again program" because according to him, it was my fault I wasn't loosing weight.  My DS surgeon ordered tests and discovered the band had slipped, I had acquired a bacteria, and the weight gain of course did come from eating ice cream...it was all I could eat at the end without throwing up.

Anyway, I fired the band surgeon, and allowed my DS surgeon to take over my care and was able to take all the steps necessary to get the band removed and have my ds.

Wish you the best! 

By the way, I also travel to NY from CT, so I take advantage of my trips to also enjoy the day in NY when I go in for follow up appointments.

Janine

DS SW - 201 4/21/11; GW 130
Sexyvt123
on 6/3/11 12:02 am
OMG that is scary and frustrating at the same time.  How could no one tell you that was happening?  Did those people think that was normal and ok to live with.  I would be royally **** and seeking a lawyer.  How in the world is it your fault ?  Did you call the office of your old surgeon?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 326 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 262 views