Approved and surgery date set!

DotNetLee
on 6/4/11 4:06 am - TX
I'm coming up from the depths of lurkerdom!  I've been quietly reading this board for a while now, and posted once or twice on my old account, but haven't ever been active.  All that's about to change. 

I just got approved by my insurance company last Wednesday for a revision from the crap-band to the DS and today I got a call from Dr. Stewarts office with a surgery date!  Wow that was fast!  I'm still in a bit of shock.  Looks like I'll be coming over to the dark side on June 29th.

I'll be in Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas, which kind of surprised me since I figured I would be at Denton Regional Hospital, but apparently my insurance specified Forest Park.  I've heard mostly good things about it so I guess that's OK.  Anybody want to share their experience there?

Now my only problem is getting my wife on board with it.  She's been against it since day one, but I thought that she had at least resigned herself to it.  Now that it's really going to happen she's very upset again and feels like our lives our going to change drastically after the surgery.  I've tried every thing I can think of to convince that yes, our lives will change, but it will ultimately be for the better, but she keeps coming back to "we won't be able share meals together anymore."  And "holiday's will be different".  I actually posted about this before under my old account and was given lots of great advice, and thought we were past this.  Apparently I was wrong.  Oh well.

No matter what, I am going forward with the DS.  I just hope that in time she realizes that this is really best for both of us.

Any hoo.  I'm pretty excited about it so I thought I'd share.
Sexyvt123
on 6/4/11 4:27 am
Congrats on your surgery date.  Your wife will come along don't worry.  Sound like she is just worried of the changes that will happen but eventually she will get on board.  I can't wait to get my crap band out.  I dream about it everyday. 

Heres2anewme
on 6/4/11 4:31 am - TX
Awesome...congrats!!
Jamille            ~If it's God's will for me, then it will be~
                                            I Being A Mommy!!

larra
on 6/4/11 4:44 am - bay area, CA
Congratulations!
    You're both right. Things will change. But the changes overall will be for the better. Surely she would like to see you no longer MO and with improved health. And surely you haven't been able to eat normally with your band.
    It's tough for some people to get on board. Maybe she's afraid for you having more surgery. Maybe she's just unable to envision how easily the positive changes of the DS can be incorporated into your life and your family's life. With time, that too will change.

Larra
DotNetLee
on 6/4/11 5:29 am - TX
Thanks everyone.  Actually, I have been able to eat pretty normally with my band.  That's probably why it didn't work for me.  I've never really had a problem with the band, other than feeling that I'd wasted $10k dollars and trip to Mexico.  I'd feel a little restricted, but after a few minutes could eat again and never really felt full.  My band holds 3cc's and I'm at 2.8 so there's not much room for more.  I'm really hopeful the DS will do the trick. 
StephOinAZ
on 6/4/11 6:35 am
Congratulations!  That's awesome news :)

Sorry about your wife :/  I had the same problem w/my ex-husband.  He was never on board and never supportive.  But it wasn't because he was worried, he was actually destructive about it to me.  I agree w/the other responses, she will come around.  Meals really won't be as different as she thinks.  Is she overweight?  If so, perhaps she's jealous?  I know that was part of my my husband was never supportive.  He refused the surgery himself but then got resentful that I was taking "the easy way out" and "spending all our money" on surgeries.  Oh well...you have to do what's best for you and your family, and obviously living a long healthy life should be priority for everyone.

Best of luck!!
goodkel
on 6/4/11 6:42 am
On June 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM Pacific Time, DotNetLee wrote:
I'm coming up from the depths of lurkerdom!  I've been quietly reading this board for a while now, and posted once or twice on my old account, but haven't ever been active.  All that's about to change. 

I just got approved by my insurance company last Wednesday for a revision from the crap-band to the DS and today I got a call from Dr. Stewarts office with a surgery date!  Wow that was fast!  I'm still in a bit of shock.  Looks like I'll be coming over to the dark side on June 29th.

I'll be in Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas, which kind of surprised me since I figured I would be at Denton Regional Hospital, but apparently my insurance specified Forest Park.  I've heard mostly good things about it so I guess that's OK.  Anybody want to share their experience there?

Now my only problem is getting my wife on board with it.  She's been against it since day one, but I thought that she had at least resigned herself to it.  Now that it's really going to happen she's very upset again and feels like our lives our going to change drastically after the surgery.  I've tried every thing I can think of to convince that yes, our lives will change, but it will ultimately be for the better, but she keeps coming back to "we won't be able share meals together anymore."  And "holiday's will be different".  I actually posted about this before under my old account and was given lots of great advice, and thought we were past this.  Apparently I was wrong.  Oh well.

No matter what, I am going forward with the DS.  I just hope that in time she realizes that this is really best for both of us.

Any hoo.  I'm pretty excited about it so I thought I'd share.
She's being a little dramatic. Of course you will still be able to enjoy meals together. You'll just eat the protein. You can share her entree eating out and save enough money to go out to dinner more often.

Holidays don't have to change, either. You'll just be eating differently and one or two cookies will probably be enough for you. It doesn't mean that there can't be cookies.

The first few months will be VERY different while you heal, but slowly, but surely your eating habits will resemble those of a NORMAL thin person.

The DS allows the most normal eating habits of any WLS.

Sit down with your wife and read the following thread. Jenna tooks photos of the meals she ate in one day. Hopefully it will put your wife's mind to rest:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4193573/Eating-with-a-DS-A-D ay-in-the-Life-pics/page,1/action,replies/topic_id,4193573/
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

teachmid
on 6/4/11 7:01 am - OKC, OK
Congratulations on your date.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views