Light Headed after bending over???

sbp7
on 6/5/11 10:54 pm - Munster, IN
Every time I get up from bending over, I feel light headed. If I am bent over for any extended period of time, when I stand up, it's like I can feel the blood drain from my head. I have to close my eyes and pause for a few seconds before I feel normal again.

My 3 month labs were great. I am on the full Vitalady plan minus mag.

Any thoughts on what this is? Could it be low blood pressure?

I see my pcp on Friday. Just looking for some answers here from the experts.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/11 11:01 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Low blood pressure can cause this. Going from one position to another rather abruptly causes a change in blood pressure, and if your blood pressure is low, you'll feel it.  I had normal bp the entire time I was fat, and now it's really low, like in the 90/60 range, so I get lightheaded, too.
Julie R.
on 6/5/11 11:55 pm - Ludington, MI
Even at 5 years out, it still happens to me all the time.   My blood pressure is like 90/50.    Hydrated or not, well nourished or not,  great iron levels or not, it still happens.   I've just learned to live with it.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

lk1970
on 6/6/11 1:46 am
I told my PA that was happening to me.. he said, well just get up slower! lol

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Chad M.
on 6/6/11 1:48 am - Indianapolis, IN
I experienced the same thing for a while and I do think my problem was low blood pressure. Mine has run slightly low since surgery but I think I was having bouts where it would drop very low. As my weight has stablized, that has stopped though. It may just be my body adjusting to lower blood pressure.

Another common cause would be low blood sugar but I don't think that would typically get worse when bending over/standing.
Elizabeth N.
on 6/6/11 2:01 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yup, it's almost assuredly what's called orthostatic hypotension, or a drop in blood pressure associated with a change in position. You might have something going on in ears or sinuses, too. Ask the doc to make sure it's nothing serious, and be sure to change positions a little slower and more mindfully.

Ann M.
on 6/6/11 7:09 am - GA
What EN said. They may have you lay down, sit up, then stand up and take your BP. If there is a significant difference between readings its likely OH. The good news is that there really is a cost effective way to manage this- get up slow. LOL

BTW, I get OH everytime I lose a significant amount of weight. So I am prepared for this go around!

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 10:23 am - Yorktown, VA
I had this for awhile (can't remember what period post-op it was), but it's now gone.  Perhaps for me it was part of the adjustment?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views