3 weeks out..When can I start trying other foods

galla1
on 6/8/11 5:27 am
So I'm 3 weeks out and still going along with my surgeons diet which is geared for the RNY'ers. I have had no problems so far. I'm just wondering when I can start trying foods besides lunch meat, and chicken. I 'm really craving steak, bacon, ribs ect ect.. Is it to soon to introduce these meats. My NUT at the doctors office told me my diet is the same as the RNY'ers... HUH??? Anyway thanks for any input... :)
carriemeaway
on 6/8/11 7:40 am - Spanaway, WA
I'm six weeks out and haven't been cleared for anything along the lines of bacon or ribs but from what I hear each surgeon is different in the diets they want you to follow.
HW     -   SW    -    CW     -  GW
361  357  237 

Elizabeth N.
on 6/8/11 8:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
Three weeks out I was eating shrimp, soft white fish, scallops, eggs and a bite or two of very well-sauced soft meat. Bacon would have caused me serious misery. Take it SLOW. You need to heal. Do NOT rush this. Your NUT is worthless, sorry. But that doesn't mean you can just go hogwild and eat anything that sounds good. Remember, you are not getting all the messages from your stomach because of so many nerves being cut. You need to treat your stomach like that of a baby. Take it very easy. It's only a few more weeks for it to heal.

galla1
on 6/9/11 12:37 am
thanks, I think I am just having some "head" issues. I will get through it.
Elizabeth N.
on 6/9/11 9:04 am - Burlington County, NJ
Why should it be in your head? You're taking in next to no food. Of COURSE you will feel hunger and you will fantasize about food!! This is NORMAL, a totally functional adaptive response by your body (which btw includes your mind y'know?) to a perceived famine.

Don't make it psychological when it isn't. There's enough psych stuff to deal with as it is :-).

kb2010
on 6/9/11 8:41 am - CO
Hey, my friend!

I am glad to see you back posting. How are you feeling? Remember that head hunger is normal this close to having surgery. I barely notice those feelings anymore at 3 months out. Is there anyway to research around you and find a NUT who is even a little bit familiar with a DS diet? I get that a RNY works at the beginning but a DS'er needs different stuff later on. The steak and bacon and ribs will come soon enough..just baby that stomach till your healed. So glad your doing ok!

Kim

HW:390   GW:170ish

Elizabeth N.
on 6/9/11 9:02 am - Burlington County, NJ
"Head hunger" is a whole different animal from real, normal, human hunger, a natural response to the prolonged intake of next to no calories.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views