Does the DS help Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy?

beemerbeeper
on 6/18/11 12:01 pm - AL
If a person already has developed DPN secondary to T2D does curing the diabetes via the DS also have a positive effect on the DPN or is it a case of once you have DPN you have it for life?

I'm not sure where I can research this and I'm not so great at doing medical research so anything that can point me in the right direction would be appreciated very much.

Anyone with personal experience also please reply.

THANK YOU!!

~Becky

Esther B.
on 6/18/11 12:19 pm - Rainy & Cloudy, WA
That's a great question and I hope someone knows the answer.  I have T2D with neuropathy in my feet and ankles.  It would be awesome if the surgery can reverse this as well.
Dawn S.
on 6/18/11 12:26 pm - VA
 I dont beliefe that it will cure it, however with the T2D cured, it wont get any worse.

I did a search on google and didn't find any info about the DS and DPN.  I did find this, interesting as it is it donesn't realy answere anything.

Here's the address incase the link didn't work.

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/60156-gastric-bypass- and-neuropathy/
    Dawn:  Relized something had to change:     60.5 inches;   Heaviest: 301 Surgery: 241
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers [UR

beemerbeeper
on 6/18/11 12:33 pm - AL
Thanks Dawn.  Is your surgery one month from today?  Getting close!

~Becky

MsBatt
on 6/18/11 1:24 pm
No personal experience here---but back when I was a newbie here, I remember someone posting that her husband has gone to Spain and had the Switch only for his diabetes and that HIS had completely reversed itself. Of course, I'm assuming this is a YMMV sort of thing.
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/11 3:56 pm - San Jose, CA
That was PattyL's husband.
MsBatt
on 6/19/11 12:56 am
I thought it was, but I didn't want to speak out of turn. Is he still doing well?
beemerbeeper
on 6/19/11 8:12 am - AL
Thanks Ms. Batt.

For a morbidly obese person with t2d (not well controlled) and significant neuropathy it makes me so angry that the DS is not recommended.  At least an eval by a DS surgeon. 

I hope my friend will qualify medically for surgery.  She has a lot of co-morbids.

~Becky

southernlady5464
on 6/19/11 3:11 am
I have PN from diabetes, have had it since I was 30 that I know of and was officially diagnosed in 1999, about 2 months after my diabetes diagnosis. Mine is small fiber neuropathy which is extremely hard to "see" on the Nerve Conductivity Studies.

Now, I'm not quite 5 months out, my diabetes is under control and yet there is no difference in my PN. Nerves take a LONG time to heal, at the rate of 1mm a month. So depending on how damaged, can depend on how long it takes to heal. Time for nerves to heal.

To be honest, if you have enough damage to know you have PN, you've done quite a bit of damage and it may take years to heal. I am not looking for any relief in the next couple of years myself.

Best place to find out about peripheral neuropathy is the Neuropathy Association.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

beemerbeeper
on 6/19/11 8:13 am - AL
I hope that my friend gets some pain relief from the weight loss, even if she continues to have the pain from the neuropathy.  It makes me sad that her doctors never educated her about the DS as an option BEFORE her neuropathy got so disabling.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 569 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 953 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 325 views