Nausea

aknipling
on 6/29/11 7:49 am
Ok, So I am 8 days out from surgery. I am constnatly nauseous. It is making it hard for me to eat, sleep, drink, etc. Any suggestions? I really need some relief!!!!!!!!!

Amanda
Ready!!!
MajorMom
on 6/29/11 8:22 am - VA
Did your doc say to call if you needed meds for nausea? I think I'd do that but also try some herbal ginger tea or water with a little fresh lime and Splenda to taste. Crushed ice perhaps. You gotta get and stay hydrated. Dehydration will make you feel nauseous too. I hope you can get sorted out and feel better. Please keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/11 9:44 am
Call your doc for some meds...the last thing you need is to become dehydrated.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/29/11 11:48 am
I had persistent nausea too, it sucks. Dr. Stewart wrote me a perscription for chewable anti-nausea meds, I forgot their name, but they worked really well since I didn't have to swallow them whole. I'm sure he'd be happy to write out a perscription for those if you're still having nausea. Give his office a call :)
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Lisa A.
on 6/29/11 9:10 pm - Windsor, NY
Oh I can empathize with you on this one. I was nauseous for 6 months. The doctor did prescribe anti nausea pills (chewable) for me and they did help. I also ended up having to get an upper GI series and found out that I acquired severe GERD after my DS that I didn't have before. So I had to go on reglan (just for a month) and protonix for a year (this did help).

As for the nausea I'm wondering if you are getting dehydrated. I know I was because I could not drink alot of eat barely at all. I ended up having to go to hospital a week later for IVs and then I lived on frozen snapples (glass bottle does not crack in freezer) and ice pops. Anything that will keep you hydrated. I had a real hard time with protein shakes, they added to my nausea.

Good luck to you and it will get better :)

DarcyMad
on 6/30/11 12:16 am - Cedar Park, TX
Amanda,

Yes, call Sue and ask for a prescription.  She will definitely call one in for you!  I had intermittent nausea for the first 2 months or so.  Take your PPI meds that were prescribed for 6 months post-op.  It helps keep the stomach acid down which can also help the nausea.  What also helped me was something ice, ice cold to sip on.  I found some herbal mint tea and made it iced.  My stomach always felt "hot" when it was upset and something cold always helped that.  To this day (7 mos out) I still prefer ice cold beverages!  This is coming from a serious coffee drinker.

Good luck and stay on top of it.  Don't be afraid to call and ask for what you need.
DarcyMad
Surgery Date:  11/15/2010
Jewel506 is my Angel!    Angel to Kristi (Momx4)
Anything that is, or was, began as a dream - Lavagirl 

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 12:29 pm - Yorktown, VA
You should also be on an acid blocker (in addition to a nausea med).

Dehydration can cause it, so make sure you're well hydrated.

I found warm peppermint tea to be very soothing to my tummy.  Peppermint oil is known to help with this and the warm fluid went down easier than cold ones in the beginning.
aknipling
on 6/30/11 12:50 pm
Thanks for all the advice!!! I really think I was just dehydrated. I was able to get down a whole bottle of peadilite in a day. That is the most I have been able to drink. I still have a little nausea and I have some anti nausea medicine left over so I can take that occasionally. I just didn't want to be stuck on it all the time. I am just gonna keep drinking a lot and hopefully that will be what I need!!!
Ready!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 355 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 814 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views