2 weeks out and still painful

ClairM13
on 7/7/11 6:04 am
 This is my first post in here so be easy on me! lol

I'm 2 weeks out (yesterday) and I'm still experiencing some pain, even more so in the evening, on my left side. I had the DS, hernia repair and my gall bladder out all at the same time so I know I'll still have aches and pains. Of course I'm worried about what is TOO MUCH pain and when I need to worry. I do still have some swelling at night too.  I have read about 'leaks' and other issues that are freaking me out right now too which isn't helpful.

Oh and I can't wait to CHEW food!  2 more weeks...

Thanks for your help!

Clair
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 7:12 am - NC
Welcome, Clair!  I'm 4-weeks out today, and I remember exactly how those painful days were!  On my 2-week out anniversary, my husband and I were rear-ended, so that added to the pain and discomfort.  I will say that a little after 2 weeks, my pain got a lot less, and I was even able to get back to the gym for a little cardio.  I utilized the nurse whenever I felt something wasn't right or just needed reassurance for how I was feeling.  Obviously what you went through was a major surgery and so it'll just take time to feel better.  At week 3-I felt much better, and now at week 4, I feel back to normal for the most part! :)  Hang in there--I promise, it does get easier, but I completely understand the craving to chew!!!
teachmid
on 7/7/11 8:14 am - OKC, OK
Welcome, Clair. Congratulations on your surgery.

You had major surgery and rearrangement of your insides, so I'm not surprised you're still uncomfortable. I found, that at the end of the day when I ws tired, I was always more uncomfortable.

If you're worried, why not cqllyour surgeon's office. Have you had your 2. Week check yet?
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

airbender
on 7/7/11 8:26 am
pain is very indivudual.  you did have a lot done and 2 weeks is not that long.  it will be worse at night since you have been up all day making that situation worse.  it will get a little better everyday, don't worry if you had a leak you would know it.....
ClairM13
on 7/7/11 8:36 am

Thanks everyone for your information! It's always reassuring to hear from others who've been through the same thing that what I'm experiencing is 'normal'. 

My Clinic did a 1 week check up then not again until 4 weeks. 

Janine P.
on 7/7/11 12:14 pm - Long Island, NY
Hi Clair - Congratulations on your surgery!

Like everyone said, you're going to be sore.  I just want to ask you a question: do you have any heavy duty "lumps" under an incision site? 

The reason I'm asking is because the majority of my pain (at two weeks out) was from an abscess (a pocket of puss) that grew under an incision site.  It was about the size of a plum or peach and it hurt like a *****  My surgeon had to reopen the incision site to drain it.  Ouch!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Elizabeth N.
on 7/7/11 12:14 pm - Burlington County, NJ
it's hard to say how much pain is too much. Depends on your pain tolerance and your ability to justify and explain away your symptoms *points at self*. 

But in general, "too much pain" is whatever is making you intolerably miserable even with your specified pain management plan. Take your pain meds by the clock, not by the symptom, to get pain under better control. If that doesn't work, talk to your surgeon.

If you get fever, icky discharge, heat that you can feel through your skin, non-generalized swelling....Those are additional signs that you need to urgently contact your surgeon, or if s/he will not be able to see you quickly enough and you are getting ill, go to the ER. Persistent nausea/vomiting is another important signal, especially if it renders you unable to keep down fluids. Dehydration happens FAST and too many people delay way too long in getting it treated. Then they are miserable for a lot longer than necessary.

elixir
on 7/7/11 12:51 pm - MI
Today is my one month surgiversary. My guts still ache sometimes and once in a while I have a hard time getting and staying comfortable at night. People keep saying that it gets better, and slowly but surely it does.

A couple days after being home I had to have the surgeon's office call me in a pain med other than Lortab which made me sick to my stomach. I'm not on pain meds anymore, but I'm not in the same kind of pain anymore. Now I'd say it's mostly discomfort, which is normal during healing I guess. I'm still tired all the time and still take as many naps as I can. I seem to ache more when I'm feeling tired and I exhaust easily. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

AllieInOntario
on 7/7/11 12:56 pm, edited 7/7/11 12:57 pm
I'm just over 2 weeks out.  the line between where they yank out the extra stomach and the next incision right in the middle of my mid section, are still tender.   Can't say painful, just tight and tender still.    I'll be GLAD to finally sleep on my stomach comfortably.  Hopefully soon.

PS, my most tender spot is on my left side too.

Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views