Question on Birth Control

honeybadger 11
on 7/8/11 4:10 am, edited 7/8/11 4:12 am - FL

I havent had surgery yet but im on the the nuvaring. At first it made me anxious as to whether it was still there, did i place it right, would my hubby be able to feel it during relations, etc. but now that ive been on it, its been great. The ring has both estrogen and progesterone in it.

I do believe mirena/IUD is probably the best method but i dont want to deal with the insertion and removal. We plan to try again after the 18 - 24 months are over and i just wanna be able to whip the ring out and get on with it!!!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Joanlaptods
on 7/8/11 5:12 am
I use the merina IUD. It is not just hormonal but structural as well (prevents implantation of ovum) and works at least as well as a plain IUD.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

Mdae
on 7/8/11 5:22 am
 i'm done with kids, so i got essure (titanium coils in your fallopian tubes, more effective than tubal ligation and non-surgical- but permanent).  i also got ablation.  Very happy about that.

Imissthe80s
on 7/8/11 6:25 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
I'm a bit concerned about BC myself.  I had an IUD placed last summer that did not sit well, and had to be removed a month later.  I'm not sure what to use post DS.  By the way, since I had never had a pregnancy, there was the greater chance of slippage or the IUD falling out completely, mine slipped.

elixir
on 7/8/11 5:11 pm - MI
I've thought about getting essure, but was turned off by the fact that they can't provide any possible side effects more than five years out. I like the permanency, but not the unpredictability. I told my ex-beau about it and he wondered what was to keep it from migrating out of the fallopian tubes and into another body part. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Mannyb23
on 7/8/11 8:26 am - Fort Worth, TX
I am on the nuvaring, I have not had surgery yet but I will have it done on monday, but there are really not any options for mr except what I am using now which is Abstinence, yes I have the ring but I am not putting it to use (yet). I can't get an IUD because my cervix will not permit it and I know oral bc are out of the question so I will continue to practice abstinence for a while.
twodelight
on 7/8/11 9:00 am - Atlanta, GA
This was the topic at our June support group and the mirena IUD was the suggested method. I've had this method for seven years and haven't had a problem yet. I'm pretty satisfied. But ain't gettin any right now either.
meredith_123
on 7/8/11 9:02 am - Waterford, MI
I use nuvaring as well, it's expensive with my insurance, but I really like it.  My doc from the weight loss clinic wants me to avoid birth control for a month before and after surgery to help avoid blood clots from the surgery.  But after that, she said that the nuvaring is a good choice.  

I considered the depo shot last year, but my doc said that it can make you gain up to 15 pounds, I wasn't willing to do that. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
mariposantos
on 7/8/11 11:05 am - Raleigh, NC
I use the nuvaring as well.  This is what I used before surgery and still use it.  I am very happy with it, it is easy to use and I have no side effects.  I like that I don't have to worry about how malabsorption will affect it since it isn't going through my guts.

Pamela
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

Jersey Girl
on 7/10/11 12:16 pm
LOVE my Nuvaring.  My obgyn said it's good for 5 weeks and instructed me to insert it on the 1st of every month and remove on the 26th of every month.  Super easy and I like that I can remove it when I want or need to. 
A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 365 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views