Morbid much??

Ann M.
on 7/10/11 5:18 am - GA
I did all of that plus had my will, power of attornery, advance medical directive (in case something bad happened and I DIDN'T die), list of all my checking accounts and retirement accounts, and any insurance policies in a folder. I then let the exectuer of my will know where everything was located.

Morbid? Maybe. Prudent? Definately.

You'd be surprised at the stuff people fight over after a loved one passes- and it tears families apart. I wanted to avoid that and it made me feel better that if anything happened I had made arrangements.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

Janine P.
on 7/10/11 6:41 am - Long Island, NY
Man, I just had flat-out stupid blind faith.  Maybe it's because my DS was my third weight loss surgery and I "know the drill".  I dunno.  But I was the only calm one on the day of my surgery.  I spent the morning calming people down.  My mother was crying, my sister was panicking.  I was playing Scrabble with a friend of mine on my iPhone while sitting in my gown waiting to get called in. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/11 8:40 am - San Jose, CA
I don't think it is morbid at all - it is sensible, prudent, therapeutic, cathartic and a damned fine idea.  I tried to write letters before my DS, but I kept starting to cry, so I abandoned the effort.

Having said that, let me add to the chorus about the other documents.  And I have to admit, that, although I am a lawyer, and I had my DS 12 days before my 50th birthday, 22 days before our 5th anniversary, still had a son 2 months from turning 18, and his father was - um - a guest of another state, on the day before my DS surgery, DH and I signed our wills, created a family trust, medical powers of attorney, etc., including guardianship of my son.  If it hadn't been for the surgery, we'd probably STILL not have these documents.  I felt SOOO much better having that done, irrespective of having surgery, that I was VERY glad I had done it - I had been feeling guilty for a long time for not doing that.  I had hastily drafted a will just before I married DH, when we had only known each other 6 months, and it was much more in favor of my then-minor kids (given my history, my parents and friends would have killed me if I hadn't done this) - which was fine at the time, but things had changed a lot.

Also, this is a reminder to EVERYONE - we actually just updated all of our documents a couple of months ago (because it was easy to do, since we already had the main outlines all done), to account for our various adult children whom we do not want to treat equally, and to have the most responsible of them made trustee (instead of a friend who graciously offered to manage things if DH and I both died while the kids were younger), including to put her in charge of her ne'er-do-well brother's money until he is 55, because he so far doesn't seem to be able to manage his life. 

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A WILL AND OTHER DOCUMENTS MAKING YOUR WISHES KNOWN IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE, AND EVERYONE SHOULD UPDATE THEM FROM TIME TO TIME!!
on 7/10/11 12:53 pm - Panama City, FL
I think this is perfectly normal! I did the same thing. I wouldn't shred those letters yet. When I went into surgery, it gave me a little bit of comfort knowing those letters were there. After I got home from the hospital I shredded them, but it really does help you to focus on the reason you are doing this in the first place... so you can be there for the ones you love. Only one month to go? How exciting!!! :)

Heightest weight 324/Current Weight 160
"I think I can. I think I can." -Little Engine that Could

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 428 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 875 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 288 views