Self-pay...

prettypixels
on 7/8/11 9:58 am
 If you were self-pay with a surgeon not local to you, do you find backup care with a local surgeon, or just your PCP for that?  
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

teachmid
on 7/8/11 10:02 am - OKC, OK
I flew to California for my revision and was self pay. My local care is with my PCP. The nearest DS surgeon is 3 hours away from me.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 10:04 am
 Well, I had my surgery in Brazil with Dr. Marchesini, so my local PCP takes care of me. Should a problem come up, Dr. M is always available by phone, he gives all his patients his cell phone number.
prettypixels
on 7/8/11 10:15 am
 How long did you stay in Brazil?  What about for subsequent checkups down the road?  

Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 12:24 pm
 I was in Brazil for 18 days. It was important to be there for 2 weeks after surgery. Because of leaks etc.
But I was out there sightseeing after just a couple of days out of the hospital (4 days after surgery). I got tired easily but never to tired to sight see or to shop. 

I thinks the most fun we had was going to a park that had Kapibara roaming around free and out in the open. many times I walked within just a few feet of some of them, they are the cutest rodent you would ever want to see.

Subsequent check-ups.... I get my checkups with my PCP or Endo.

After I was released by Dr. M to go home I was healing very well and did not really need him as a surgeon anymore.
While in Brazil I saw him every 3-4 days, but even then it felt more of a "fun" visit then a checkup, even though he did check me out every time, he actually advised us on where to go for fun and places and things to see.
His nurse Duval came to the hotel any time I needed him, I could call him or Dr. M anytime. 

Best care I ever had, in the hospital and out. 

beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 12:39 pm - AL
Definition of oxymoron:  "cutest rodent"  LOL.

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 12:59 pm
 lol, but they where. About the size of a pig, but a lot cuter.

beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 1:19 pm - AL
Eeeek!!!  The things nightmares are made of.

One day I will have to write the true story of the giant 'possum in a Biloxi Mississippi motel room.  I suppose a 'possum isn't a rodent, but it is equally disgusting.

~Becky

airbender
on 7/8/11 10:10 am
I had to fly to get my DS, so I now use a local surgeon (more for possibility of SBO) and my PCP
beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 12:38 pm - AL
I wasn't self-pay but like many of us I traveled for surgery.  My follow-up is with my PCP (although honestly I really do my OWN follow-up with help from the wonderful veterans here) and I send my labs to my surgeon for my record there.

If I have a surgical issue arise I will have the hospital contact my surgeon.  Hopefully I will never need that.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views