"Bacterial Genes May Determine Your Weight"

Lisey
on 7/14/11 7:38 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but there was this article in  Time Scientific Discoveries magazine that I think most all of us would find interesting.  Here we are . . .

"Our intestines are teeming with triollions of bacteria that help us digest food.  And a growing body of research suggests that having just the right population of these gut bugs may help keep the pounds off.  Scientists are discovering that the gut flora of obese and normal-weight individuals are genetically different, and that their particular makeup is associated with whether calories taken in are turned into fat or fuel.

In the latest research, in mice, scientists led by Andrew Gewirtz at Emory University showed that normal-weight mice that were transplanted with the gut microbes from obese mice ended up getting heavier.  The mice with the obese gut-but profile also developed signs of metabolic syndrome, the constellation of symptoms including high cholesterol, hypertension, and diabetes that are associated with excess weight.

Previous mouse studies by Jeffrey Gordon at Washington University in St. Louis suggest that changing the diet can change the makeup of bugs.  When one group of mice was fed a typical Western diet, high in fat and sugars, the mice tended to gain weight and grow more of a type of gut bacteria called Firmicutes and fewer of a type called Bacteroidetes.  In mice given low-fat plant-based chow, the distribution of the two groups of bugs flipped and the animals remained lean.  The shifts were dramatic and rapid, occurring in less than a day.

Taken together, the findings suggest that a "gut profile" could potentially serve as a diagnostic tool for identifying people who have a propensity for gaining excess weights."

It goes on to give health advice on wt . . .

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 9:32 am
Interesting, but this seems along the lines of old pseudoscience that candida causes binge eating.
Blank Out
on 7/14/11 2:11 pm
 How incredibly fascinating.  Thank you for posting! 

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views