gained 4 lbs, HOW? 17 days Post op

dleblanc1968
on 7/19/11 12:12 pm - Lake Arthur , LA
How could this be?  I am barely consuming 600 calories a day. How in the world could I have gained 4 lbs?  I am 17 days post op DS.  I am on soft foods. Has anyone else experienced this? 

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/11 12:34 pm
 actually that happens to a lot of people right after surgery. You could be holding on to water weight because you're not getting enough fluids.

I'm not sure why on earth you are counting calories, because counting protein and carb is really all you need to do.

Why make it harder on yourself. Just make sure you get in plenty (meaning at least 64oz) of water every day. And as much as you can try to get in things that have protein.

So, soft foods like tuna salad, or refried beans with cheese, cottage cheese, greek yogurt and so on.
Just keep doing the routine, sip, walk, rest and get your protein.

Good Luck
Julie R.
on 7/19/11 1:47 pm - Ludington, MI
 Okay, sweetie, now I'm gonna get ugly on you.        Stay off the freakin' scale.  Give it to someone you don't like very well.    Drag it back out in a year or so.   Weigh in once a month only - maybe even at your doctor's office.  The scale is a mechanical mind ****   Your DS is going to work.    Trust me on this one.   The best favor I ever did to myself was follow my surgeon's advice and I THREW MY SCALE AWAY.   Get this - I would only weigh in once a month, and I'd go to Walmart and drag a scale off the shelf, look both ways to make sure no one was peeking, and step on, in my winter coat and boots and everything, just to make sure I was on a downward trend.  Other than that, I weighed in at my three month, six month, etc. checkups.   People would ask me how much I lost, and I'd be like, "I don't know."    I think I finally bought a new scale at nine months out.   I still only weigh about once a month these days - if that.    I can tell what I weigh by how my clothes fit.    My parents committed some unspeakabe scale abuse with me when I was aged 9-16, and I have big issues with it, but really, you don't need a scale.    
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

CaliNik1979
on 7/19/11 1:51 pm - Beckley, WV
LOL "mechanical mind fuck" Rofl oh gawd how true.

You slay me Julie.

Nik | 36 | 5'3"| HW 305 | SW 286.3 | CW 234.2  | GW 180 | Surgery Comparison Chart
Samaro is my  

LaShelle2
on 7/20/11 4:00 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
OMG!!! 

You must be the 1 out of a million whose DS is a fluke and won't work.  You should demand a full refund!

LOL

Just kidding.

It's pretty normal. Maybe your period is starting, or you're retaining water, or your body is in panic mode and holding onto all your calories you're taking in.

Regardless... You will be cute, sexy, and skinny just like the rest of us 6 months from now.  So, stick with your post op care as prescribed by the doc and stop stressin!

It is IMPOSSIBLE not to lose with the DS.   

dgb123
on 7/20/11 5:51 am - Fairfax, VA
The same thing happened to me.  I lost 24 pounds in the first two weeks (as per surgeon's scale).  Two week's later (at dietician's visit - same scale) I was up seven pounds!!!  I had come off of a liquid diet to soft foods and we determined I was eating too many carbs ( at least 70g a day at that time).  I cut back (to under 40 and usually I am way below that) and the weight continued to fall.  I'm still not a fast loser, but, as has been said, there's a BIG difference in my clothes.  I, too, need to stay off the damn scale!!!  LOL!!!!

Donna

Twi light
on 7/20/11 6:12 am - NY
weigh yourself once a month, then the normal daily/weekly fluctuations will not seem like gains to you.

dleblanc1968
on 7/20/11 7:17 am - Lake Arthur , LA
Thanks for the feedback!  Some of you get me laughing.... I'm not toting a scale under my arm  and I'm not counting calories... LOL....   I've been tracking my protien on Livestrong.com and it lists how many calories you take in.  I ' ve been weighing about once a week and with the feedback realize it's too often.    I resign  to weighing once a month, promise! 

I just don't know what I'd do without the valuable info from you all!  THANKS!

J J the Jet Plane
on 7/20/11 11:09 am
I have read a few times that you can have up to 2 quarts of water in your colon.  1 quart = 8 pounds so 2 quarts=16. 

I don't know if this is true, but I have read it more than once.  So I wouldn't worry. 
Its also extremely hot out, if you are remotely swelling anywhere you are holding onto water.  Also all the scales from the nut, to the surgeon to my PCP are very very different.

Best of luck to you!
JJ
Elizabeth N.
on 7/20/11 11:38 am - Burlington County, NJ
SWELLING. FLUID RETENTION. Nuff said :-). Now will you PLEASE stay off the damned scale and quit doing this mindfuck on yourself?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views