Regaining? This is such a hopeful testimonial

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 12:30 am - Ludington, MI
 I hate to quote without permission, especially from other forums, but this post was so helpful (and hopeful) that I hope that the OP does not mind too much that I've used this.   I know that many DS'ers struggle with bounceback or regain, and some more than others.  Some have never made it to their predetermined goal.   This woman seems to have experienced both, and has successfully rectified the situation.

The question was originally posed on the Yahoo board about whether fat malabsorption persists through the years as a post-op.    This person responded on what her experiences as a ten-plus years out DS have been, and she's given any of us out there great hope that yes, even after many years, our DS "tool" still works!

I am over 10 years post op and I am certain that I still malabsorb
> fats. Floating and stinky poops prove that to me. I did experience a
> regain starting at about year 5 and I thought it might be the slowing of
> malabsorbing fats, but I now believe that is because I got sloppy and
> increased my carb intake. At about year 9 (16 months ago), I did an
> experiment..
> >
> > I painfully removed all sugar and flour from my diet, but I ate as
> much fat as I wanted. It was really physically tough for the first two
> weeks and mentally tough for another month plus, but BOY WAS IT WORTH
> IT!!! As embarrassing as it is to admit, I was a sugar addict at the
> time. I even had a drawer of candy next to my bed and would often wake
> up in the middle of the night and have some candy!
> >
> > I had regained 20+ pounds between years 5 and 9 and in the past 16
> months I lost 40+ pounds. I am smaller now than I was at my lowest
> post-op DS weight. To me, that proves that FOR ME at least, it is the
> carbs and not the fat that led to my regain. Perhaps others have
> different experiences, but this is my experience.
> >
> > I now eat a diet of meat (fat, lean, whatever...)
, seafood, fresh
> veggies, fruit and dairy. The only processed food I indulge in is a
> little Diet Mountain Dew every day. It truly is a lifestyle change now
> and not a diet.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Tassia
on 7/19/11 12:38 am
that's really cool, Julie.  Thanks for sharing.  I often wonder about the long term malabsorption, not just for weight maintenance, but for keeping my cholesterol numbers in check.  As I was putting what seemed like a half of a stick of butter on my baked potato yesterday, my mom was looking at me all wistfully. With her cardiac history and high cholesterol, she hasn't allowed herself to indulge in stuff like that for decades.

I wonder if they would ever consider a DS for people with high lipids, just like they do the lower part for diabetes.  Maybe there isn't enough evidence to suggest this is a clear resolution, so who knows.  
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

nphelps4565
on 7/19/11 12:49 am - Belleville, MI
Great post about our great TOOL!  Its difficult to remember sometimes while you are in the early stages and dropping weight so easily that eventually there will be a maintenance stage and keeping the weight off will be more of a challenge.  Very happy to hear that it IS possible to be a normal weight for the rest of my life 
Nicole
                                            Julie R. is my Angel

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 1:21 am - Ludington, MI
 You're so correct.   During the earlier DS stages, some of feel that the DS is invincible - but it's not.  I've only had two times during my post-op life where shameless eating (this past Christmas, during a one month period) has caused me to gain weight.   Both times, a couple of weeks of cutting back on carbs (not even ultra low carbing, in my case) have allowed me to easily drop the weight.   

beemerbeeper
on 7/19/11 2:40 am - AL
Thanks Julie,

I was glad to read that!

~Becky

bseelbach
on 7/19/11 4:21 am - VA
 Julie, thanks for this reminder post. I really have done very well with my Ds but now I am eating more and better and somedays I know I am not eating all the protein I should. I have never gained any weight back but I do worry about it. I have lost 196 pounds and NEVER want to go back. I am 147 pounds now and about a size 8 and love it but I must stay vigilant and remember it is a tool - to use or abuse! Thanks again for the reminder.
Thanks
Brenda
See my weight loss surgery journey - losing 193 pounds in 14 months
at: www.my-weight-loss-surgery.com follow me on Facebook too: https://www.facebook.com/MyWeightLossSurgery

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 8:11 am - Ludington, MI
 And you look GREAT!

scoob
on 7/19/11 5:15 am - Somerset, KY
WOW, this is totally awesome!! I'm in a stall right now, first one,at 10 months post op and this put a smile on my face.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

sosoclark
on 7/19/11 5:59 am - Sacramento, CA
Julie,

I am so glad you posted this for me and I believe it was just for my sake.. hey I'm a spoiled brat. Anyway, I haven't been posting much because I have started allowing processed sugar in my diet and wondering why the weight isn't falling off??? Stupid girl that I am sat down last week and had a long talk with myself. I said self..... Your still fat and your fat because you don't listen. Myself still didn't want to listen and ate a Peanut Butter cup anyway. I paid dearly for that. Since that long talk an a reality check of my own I have been doing just what the lady above did and I am back to basics for me.  I purchased some sugar free candy but trying to stay away from that since my husband can't stand me once I have eaten a serving or two. LOL. She is so right and I am glad to know that I have a tool that will keep on rocking even when I don't and that as long as I keep the carbs down I will be cool. Stupid carbs anyway.

Quick question for vets or newbes too. How long does steak stay with us. I have been eating alot of ribeyes and notice that I don't use the bathroom as much? My weight seems to stay the same for a couple of days and then I will have a drop. Interesting but I was wondering if it hangs in there a little longer than other foods.

Sophia

geekgirl127
on 7/19/11 6:16 am - Indianapolis, IN

Don't know about the steak, but later in the process thats simply how the weight fell off ofrm me... at about a year out give or take I started losing more in chunks wher early on I'd lose a few pounds every day.

HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 317 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 780 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views