So much disagreement about Vit. D.

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/11 5:56 am, edited 7/25/11 5:58 am
Hi! This thread is a few days old, so I don't know if you'll come back to visit. However, one of your statements has me a bit confused.

You mention that you aim to meet Vitalady's levels v. lab levels because those "levels that have been set for "normal" people". Unless I'm mistaken, lab levels (reference ranges) are appropriate for us to utilize as a guide, just like they should be used like that for non-altered anatomy folks.

Nothing about our malabsorption changes where our calcium, A, D or any other vitamin or mineral "needs" to be on lab results. We take more vitamins because we malabsorb, so that we can even get into those reference ranges.

What Vitalady says is that the references ranges put out there for many vitamins/minerals are inadequate--not just for WLS patients, but for the general population-vitamin D being a good example. If you follow VL's thinking, those lab levels she encourages are good, altered anatomy or not.

I do agree with Julie, however. My D sits pretty at 60-70 and my PTH is in the low 30's on 100K/day Vit. D. I'm happy and I'm not consciously aiming to get it up any higher--I'm on a good vitamin schedule and not messing with it unless labs indicate a downward trend. Do I think VL's ranges are good to shoot for? Yes. Am I going to be upset that I don't get as high as she recommends. Nope. 3/4 of the population out there would kills for the levels I have.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
bldeck
on 7/19/11 10:45 am - Farmington, NM
Knowing how your body "feels" will tell you a lot, that's is how I caught that a normal dosage(vitalady level) of A was not enough, which was confirmed by testing.

I love vitalady and use her experience to learn.  But she is not the holy grail, neither is my surgeon, and neither is my PCP.  Do I know what the holy grail is, no.  Do I know it takes checking your levels constantly and adjusting your vits, yes. 

That is the only thing I want people to take from my D issues, I check them.  I don't care if you are managing your on vits, following vitalady, or following your surgeon.  I just want people to check and adjust accordingly.  Everyone is different, so not everyone will be able to take the same thing.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

beemerbeeper
on 7/19/11 10:49 am - AL
I agree with you!!!!

I just don't want people to think that they don't have to do anything unless they "feel bad."  And there are people *****ally do believe that if they don't "feel bad" that they don't need to take any vitamins. 

~Becky

J G.
on 7/19/11 4:17 pm
I just want people to check and adjust accordingly.  Everyone is different, so not everyone will be able to take the same thing

Good point, Betty.  I think it's the checking and rechecking that probably causes some folks to fall behind.  Getting my labs done with my family doctor involves jumping through some hoops, but I push to get it done.

What's your PTH?

-Jenny
Kayla B.
on 7/19/11 1:43 pm - Austin, TX
As we age, we just lose that naturally ability to synthesize vit D on our own with help from the sun.  I imagine deficiency stats in the elderly are pretty high. 

Vitamin D research is being done on levels and prevention of cancer, so I think that is where the higher recommendations are coming from.  Remember that vitalady bases goal ranges on absolute optimum health not just "adequate health," and usually include a nice healthy buffer. 

Would I be happy with a D in the 50s?  Yeah, probably, if my PTH was good.

Similarly, I'd be thrilled if my ferritin were, say, 90 or 100, even though she recommends 200 or so.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Julie R.
on 7/19/11 1:53 pm - Ludington, MI
 Kayla - what's your D/PTH these days?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Kayla B.
on 7/19/11 2:08 pm - Austin, TX
D 40, PTH 55

Improvement from D 33 PTH 70.

I'm due for a retest.  I've got fingers crossed all levels are even better.  Been doing 150k IU and taking my estrogen replacements perfectly.  There was a while when I was finding the estrogen pill in my poop, but I switched from taking it at night to taking it in the morning and I haven't seen that little yellow pill coming out the wrong end in a long time.  Plus, I can tell I am absorbing it.  When my endo made me go off for 2 weeks so she could test endogenous estrogen, omfg, I wanted to die.  Hot flashes, constipation, night sweats.  

And my follow up DEXA is in Nov.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beemerbeeper
on 7/19/11 1:54 pm - AL
Ouch.  I think I just got called elderly. 

Kayla B.
on 7/19/11 1:56 pm, edited 7/19/11 2:05 pm - Austin, TX
LOL--sorry!  NO!  Definitely didn't mean it like that! 

I feel horrible :( 

Becky, you better reply back and tell me you forgive me!  I really do feel bad. 

beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 1:16 am - AL
Kayla I was kidding!!

But everybody has to have a first time to be called elderly!  I'll always remember that Kayla who changed my life with the cake shake recipe was the first!!! hahahahahaha.  So when it happens for real it will be no big deal!!!

And to put it in perspective I am a person who was THRILLED to get a membership to AARP for my 50th birtday gift. 

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 795 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views