So much disagreement about Vit. D.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/19/11 2:54 pm
 I'd be fine with my D in the 50's, only because it's so much better than the 30's I'm stuck in.

I started pre-op with my D at 6, so even though I'd be happy to get it to 50, it doesn't mean I'm not aiming for 100.
PattyL
on 7/19/11 4:08 pm
 The big answer is that we don't know the answer.  I don't know, VitaLady(nothing personal) doesn't know, and neither do the docs.  It hasn't been studied enough in the general population.  D deficiency seems to be common but we don't really know because most people don't have their levels checked even once in their lives.  And I guess it makes sense that we absorb less as we age and our levels go down.  But again, we don't know because the general population is never checked.

I know several normies who have been tested and none of them were normal.  All were deficient.  This is 100% anecdotal but that leads me to ask where the normal is 80-120 came from.  Was it made up?  And by whom?  And how do they know?  All I can say is 100% of the people I know who were tested were deficient.

Why don't we know?  Follow the money.  We don't know much about vitamins compared to other things.  Things big pharma will pay to study because there is money to be made.  Until fairly recently, the only people concerned with D levels were DSers and others with malabsorbtive issues like people with Cystic Fibrosis.  A very small group and insignificant compared to the general population.  Vitamins are cheap OTC supplements that big pharma doesn't perceive to be happy hunting grounds for lucrative patents.  

Now this is changing and I believe there will be a lot more definitive information available in the next few years.  We don't know a lot about vitamins.  For all we know, D is the freaking fountain of youth and when we stop absorbing, the disease processes that kill us begin.....  It could happen.  If we stop absorbing D as we age, why?  Is there another trigger somewhere(most likely there is)?  Is there a flaw in the way these supplements are manufactured that prevents us from absorbing them properly? Do we even absorb oral D?  And what percentage?  Why are people D deficient who are exposed to an abundance of natural sunlight? Lots of questions and no answers.

What we know.  D doesn't really occur naturally in things we eat.  Products have been 'enriched' with D for decades starting when it was discovered Rickets was caused by D deficiency.  We are supposed to get our D from exposure to sunlight.   What we know is the tip of the iceberg.

Here's my plan.  I will just do the best I can and watch for downward trends indicating I need to do more.  I will keep on reading and watching for new information.  But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  After all, I don't know anyone with normal D anyway.

Julie R.
on 7/19/11 11:29 pm - Ludington, MI
 What a great response.  
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 1:18 am - AL
I am SO glad I opened this can of worms because that was so enlightening.  Thank you so much.

~Becky

vitalady
on 7/20/11 5:46 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I am doingv this in my ophone. Not good at it. But well vit D, can't resist!

I had the most fascinating discussion yesterday with a doc in AR. BioTech sent him. His pt was 2003 rny. Never a vitewN calc in all that time. BT never suggests dosing.

So this guy has a. Of 8. The doc is closer to ND but natural medicine is illegal in AR!!! Can u imagine!?

So I suggest the usual (aftermy disclaimery, 100k for 60, 50k for 30, test. Expect to rest about 20-25k per day. Endless calc cit. He asks about mag cit, also endless. I pause for screams.

He chuckles and says the mega dooses don't scare him. Been doing lots of reserch showing levels of 300 are even better. Now *i* aM speechless. That is not a naturally occurin g thing with me. Lol

I'm sticking with my "appx" 100 opinion, which is only that. My opinion, based on studies + where ppl seem to feel good and stop bone and tooth loss.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

beemerbeeper
on 7/20/11 5:56 am - AL
Michelle,

Thanks for chiming in.  I appreciate it! 

I like the dosing guideline of "endless" Calcium Citrate and Mag Citrate.  I'm going to start saying that that is what I take!!

Safe travels!  Where will you be next?

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 354 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views