How did you feel...

elixir
on 7/20/11 11:15 am - MI
I had surgery on a Thursday and was released from the hospital on Sunday. I think the original plan was for me to leave Saturday, but I had a hard time taking the nasty Lortab they were trying to make me switch to instead of the pain pump.

At four days out all I wanted to do was sleep. Two weeks out all I wanted to do was sleep, but it was getting better. I actually went back to work after two weeks off, but I still got my nap in everyday.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Elizabeth N.
on 7/20/11 11:42 am - Burlington County, NJ
Four days out I wouldn't have been able to listen to anything more than about three sentences of small talk at a time. I might have been able to follow something a little bit complicated at two or three weeks out, but I can't imagine withstanding that kind of stress that early out, either.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would consider rescheduling, since you won't want the slightest chance of missing even a moment of the trial. I dunno....

Renfairewench
on 7/20/11 1:09 pm
I had an open DS, well actually it was a revision, and at 4 days, hell even at two weeks I was still in the critical care unit. LOL...but my situation is not normal. So I thought back to when I had my RNY.  It was open and at 4 days I was still in the hospital. At two weeks and four days?  I still was walking hunched over and taking a shower would leave me breathless and exhausted. Of course I was 430 pounds too. No way in hell could I have sat anywhere for 10 minutes much less hours. 

As for your son, wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you and your family are dealing with. My hope for you is that you will get a judge who will see what is going on as stall tactics and start the judicial process sooner rather than later. I think you should speak to your lawyer and request a date that is perhaps four weeks post op. If that is not possible, my only recommendation for you is to bring several pillows to help keep you comfortable and to make certain that you bring fluids with you.

Blessings,
Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

no_more_rolls
on 7/20/11 10:10 pm - Jackson, MI
I am so sorry to learn of the loss of your son.  Hopefully you and your family will get justice soon.

Dr. Kemmeter was my surgeon too.  I was in the hospital 2 days, which he said was average.  I am 2 weeks out now and I can honestly say there is no way I could have gone to court to attend a trial after 4 days.  Yesterday I made the 5 1/2 hour drive round trip with my 10 year old daughter to Dr. K's office for 2 appointments.  I also had to stop for fuel and to get fast food for my daughter and water for me.  I was gone a little over 8 hours.  I was so wore out by the time I got home I soon fell asleep.  I slept almost 12 hours.  That tells me my body was not ready for what I put it through yesterday, which pre-op I could have handled no problem.  Changing the date to September 12th may be a good idea.  I know it sucks because your daughter will not be there, but having that date instead may be a blessing in disguise.  Remember your body will be healing...and there have been people that pushed themselves too hard post-op and ended up back in the hospital.  I know you wouldn't want that.  Just be careful.

I wish you the best.  hugs

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Julie R.
on 7/20/11 10:58 pm - Ludington, MI
 I dunno....I get accused of being a Pollyanna about this, but I really felt pretty good after my DS.   At four days - no way - I don't think emotionally or physically you will be ready for a trial.    DEMAND that it be changed to September 12.    At 2.5 weeks out, I was back to work, in a job that requires me to think quickly on my feet and be on my feet, and yes, I took a nap every day when I got home from work, but really, I felt pretty darn good.    I think the minimum time post-op would be 2.5 weeks.   I know that you want to get this trial done and over with - the peace of mind and sense of closure will help in the healing process!

One foot in front of the other, sister.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

KellyJTn
on 7/21/11 12:40 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I agree with most in saying that 4 days out would be a huge no-no for going to something so huge. On my 4th day, it was just my 1st day home, and I slept ALOT that first week. Mostly because the pain medication knocked me out. At 2 weeks, 4 days, I was still feeling awful. I didn't even begin to feel somewhat normal until I was over a month out. If I HAD to choose though, I'd do the 2 wks, 4 days out. You'll atleast be able to walk better and drink better.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

geekgirl127
on 7/21/11 12:48 am - Indianapolis, IN
At four days out I was still in the hospital getting a blood transfusion because my iron and while blood cell count dropped.  I say this because obviously this trial is a big deal but there could be complications that while in the grand scheme of things not critical will need to be taken care of right then.  I'd try to move it.
HW/SW/CW/GW = 371/352/168/130  - I love my DS!!

Monique H.
on 7/21/11 1:04 am
I was an open revision to ds. Although I was in the hospital about a week, I was back to work part-time at week two. When I had nausea I promptly asked my doctor for suppositories which I knew from prior experience worked best for me. I think our bodies all heal at different rates. Make sure you stay hydrated and don't push yourself more than you know you can take. I can't imagine having to go through what you're going through.

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
Nicolle
on 7/21/11 1:21 am
At four days out, I was up for some low-level activity, like walking, and then an immediate nap. I was discharged from the hospital on Day 4 (Dr. Rabkin keeps you in 3-4 days usually, even if you have an uncomplicated lap surgery, which I did).

I am so sorry for your pain. Do not give up on justice. This guys was a repeat offender, right? Think of the next family he will hurt, and he WILL hurt someone else. That should help you drag your ass where you need to go to make sure he does not hurt anyone again.

Peace,

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/21/11 2:14 am
Hi Sherry,

I'm very to hear about everything you're going through.

4 days post op I was on a lot of meds, so the pain wasn't unbearable, but I wasn't really moblie yet since the incisions were still very new and my whole body felt tender. Also the meds were making my mind very fuzzy.

at 2 weeks and 4 days I was still on pain meds, though not as much, and while I didn't feel even close to normal I was moving around just fine- although I would get exhausted very easily, needed lots of rest and water to drink.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 726 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1029 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views