Need a diagnosis code for a PT test for Vit K, please

J G.
on 7/22/11 6:14 am

Labcorp  

I have never had a PT Test run. My regular Vitamin K test came back out of range, low.   According to my research:

Tests for Vitamin K levels are not widely available and are rarely ordered. They are not typically used to screen for or help diagnose Vitamin K deficiencies because a lack of Vitamin K is usually discovered when unexpected or excessive bleeding or easy bruising occurs. The primary test used to investigate the bleeding is a prothrombin time (PT). If the result of the PT is prolonged and it is suspected to be due to low levels of the vitamin.

Vitamin K status is measured by the prothrombin time test. The normal prothrombin time is about 13 seconds. With vitamin K deficiency, the prothrombin time can be several minutes

Thanks for your help, Jenny

Kayla B.
on 7/22/11 6:24 am - Austin, TX
Wait, do you need a diagnosis code (i.e. surgical/intestinal malabsorption) or the CPT (billing) code for PT?

If you get vitalady's list done, you get that done.  It's a pretty common test.

Anyways, you want:
PT/INR (cpt 85610)
PTT (cpt 85730)

How much vitamin K do you take?  What is your level?
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 6:35 am - San Jose, CA
I think in general, the code should be 579.3 (ICD-9) or K91.2 (ICD-10)
"Postsurgical malabsorption, not elsewhere classified"
airbender
on 7/22/11 6:39 am
Traditional screening tests for Vit K deficiency are based on global coagulation assays that include the PT.  It is not specific to Vit K deficiency.  for a malabsorption patient(ie short gut syndrome, DS, IBD, CF,etc)  to evaluate Vit K status inherent to the PT is insensitive to Vit K deficency, it can predict an imminent bleeding tendency,  but it is not useful for diagnosis of subclinical deficiency.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views