Can't find a surgeon

skprmark
on 7/22/11 11:20 am - Long Beach, CA
I am relatively new to all of this so bare with me. I am having trouble findiong a DS surgeon. Even thise whuich advertise this procedure seem reluctant to perform it. Could be my BMi is to low at 43 but I also have diabetes tyope 2. Any ideas?

larra
on 7/22/11 11:26 am - bay area, CA
Your bmi is just fine for the Ds, esp with type 2 diabetes. The DS has the highest rate of resolution of type 2 diabetes of any wls, so good choice!
     The real problem is, as you guessed, advertising. We see this a lot, with surgeons claiming to do "all" the different wls, but when you get in the door, they will try to steer you to what they really do.
     You can check out dsfacts.com for a list of real, vetted DS surgeons, but I can tell you now that in SoCal, your choices are Dr. Crookes at USC and Dr. Keshishian in Glendale. That's it.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/11 11:59 am
I see Larra gave some good advice, but I just want to say it's cool to see another Long Beacher.

determineddanni
on 7/22/11 12:12 pm
OH is a good place to start and so is dsfacts.com!!

Janine P.
on 7/22/11 1:06 pm - Long Island, NY
You're in a great state to find a DS surgeon. 

Regarding their reluctance to perform this surgery;  The DS is nothing to sneeze at.  It requires the most upkeep - a "high maintenance" surgery if you will.  So doctors that perform the surgery (assuming they're ethical) want you to know how dangerous the DS *can* be if you don't take proper care of yourself.

That being said, it's a fantastic surgery.  Just do some reading on DSFacts like Larra said, and impress the socks off your surgeon with how much you know about the procedure.  When I went to my first consult with my surgeon, it started off with him going straight into how dangerous the surgery was, but after I started explaining what I had known about the DS, he back-peddled and said "Sounds like you know more than I do." 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 7/23/11 7:33 am, edited 7/23/11 7:33 am
skprmark
on 7/25/11 3:29 am - Long Beach, CA
I wanted to thank everyone *****sponded. I will look into the local surgeons who do this. I am meeting with a different one today who does not do the DS. Just want to see all of my options. My medical plan pays for 65% of the surgery so will still have a lot of costs to cover.

Thanks Again.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 256 views