Question about acid...

April M.
on 7/26/11 12:30 pm - MI
So, a rather specific and (maybe) odd question. I had a 2 part DS, and after the sleeve, I was prescribed pepcid (an acid reducer) by my surgeon's office. I never had GERD or heartburn after surgery, but I wasn't willing to risk going off the pepcid to see if I still needed it. 4 months later (almost 2 weeks ago) I had the switch done. Now, I have horrible heartburn if I even look at or think about eating something that is one of my triggers, no kidding. So, my question is this... if nothing was changed in my stomach during the second surgery (and I am sure that it wasn't), and I'm still taking the pepcid faithfully, why am I having heartburn bad enough to need a PPI now? Thankfully, the nurses at Dr. Hares' office called in a prescription for me as soon as I complained, so I'm all set there, but I'm one of those curious types that wants to understand the "why" of everything. Any thoughts, ideas, or answers?

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

newyorkbitch
on 7/26/11 11:08 pm
Many DSers get reflux post-op.  Sometimes it goes away, sometimes not.  Get on omeprazole (or something like that) asap - will solve the issue.  My reflux did not go away...I've been on omeprazole (prilosec) for many years.  It's available over the counter, even generically.  I take 20mg in the morning,  20mg in the evening.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 7/27/11 1:59 am
You may want to go back on the acid blockers. I was a virgin DS, but at 7 months out I still find that I need a daily prevacid to keep the tummy comfortable.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 381 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 831 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views