Home after J-Tube Placement

LK_NC
on 7/26/11 1:20 pm

I finally had the J-tube placed after being unable to eat for 3 months.  The nausea and vomiting have finally subsided somewhat.  Hospitalization was harsh - lungs collapse after surgery and had bad rash all over body.  I was afraid that the J-tube was not going to work - the third night after placement and feeding - I vomiting everything taken in for past 6 hours.

Question to other J-tube patients:

How long did you need to keep the tube?  Did it resolve all eating issues?  I am still not able to eat anything by mouth.

Renfairewench
on 7/26/11 2:00 pm
I used a J tube for 3 months. For me it did not resolve my issues, but that is because I had a gastric leak, strictures, and fistulas. I was glad to see it go, but while I had it I did feel better since I was able to get nutrition and fluids. I could not have gotten enough nutrition otherwise.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

walter A.
on 7/27/11 11:45 am - lafayette, NJ
i had one put in during the initial surgery, Dr A does this for the patients comfort,  I kept it for 12 weeks,  it was a blessing.  I had no issues that I read others complaining about  on eating and post op hydration's, abput all the pain , life was great.  the only discomfort was the surface suture for the j tube became infected around 10 weeks dictating it had to come out , or I might still have it. lol 
lorrilee
on 7/28/11 8:59 am - AZ
after 4 months without food and very little water I got my J tube (i still have it but no longer need it and having it removed next week) I was in and out of the hospital for the full 4 months after I got my tube no more trips to the hospital it allowed my tummy to fully heal without putting anything in it. I was feed 20 hours a day via the tube and  iv pole it was a pain to be hooked up to the pole for months like that, but after landing in the hospital the last time not being able to walk or even move my arms the tube saved my life.
I can eat and drink now and feel great I begged for the tube from the first month I could not eat..but it took 3 more months to get one.
I think I would be dead now if I didnt get it.
I think you will feel so much better with your tube :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 375 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views