I miss fruit

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 4:48 am
I don't see much fruit on people's daily reports of what they ate. Is fruit a no-no?

strawberry28
on 7/27/11 5:20 am - somewhere, MD
Hi,

I'm over 1 year out, and before I just really didn't have room for fruit too often as I refuse to drink my protein and needed my space.  I have been on a fruit kick the last few weeks.  I eat a huge bowl of watermelon (doing it now) and have a nectarine every day.

Once you have space to fit more food in, I think it's not a problem.  Fruit doesn't bother my tummy at all.  Maybe it does with others , but not me.  I don't eat really dense fruit like bananas often though. 
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

dranoa
on 7/27/11 5:25 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
 I'm not a post op yet (5 days away!), but I would assume the sugars and carbs would best be avoided. Surely in moderation they can be consumed. 

I was glancing at the FDA nutritional facts  which might bring to light why some fruits are best avoided over others. There are lots of sites out there with information to be found. 

Good luck!
Alex
Julie R.
on 7/27/11 5:26 am - Ludington, MI
Well, fruit is higher in carb (some, like bananas) are more than others, so I limited it till I got to goal.  One good sized strawberry is only one net carb though.   Like others, I just didn't have room for fruit for the longest while, and it makes me gassy, and I only crave it occasionally.     I do eat it though, usually some once or twice a week.   I just made a wonderful salad earlier this week with rasberries, watermelon, tomatoes, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, and chicken breat.    Served it over greens.  It was great.

If I crave anything, it's fresh pineapple or watermelon.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Twi light
on 7/27/11 5:36 am - NY
i had half a nectarine yesterday, i am 2 weeks out.   You can have some fruit, it is not going to make you gain weight, as long as you dont eat a truckload of it.

yorkieGal
on 7/27/11 8:02 am - Clermont, FL
Hi eloisie, I am 3.5 yrs out and occasionally have some berries with fage yoghurt or in a vanilla protein shake. They are high in sugar and carbs and I would rather not waste carbs on fruit to be honest. My view is that while you are in the active losing phase you might want to limit fruit till you get nearer goal. Bananas and grapes are particularly high in sugar so you might want to avoid those for a while. My surgeon told me to think of grapes like hard candy!! That put it in perspective for me!
Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Victorious_one
on 7/27/11 8:26 am - South Central, PA

The only foods that are no-no's are ones that don't agree with you (cause stomach pains, nausea, tough digestion, painful gas, etc.).  You're free to eat anything you like!

I eat my weight in grapes (OK, more like 1.5 cups) almost daily.  I didn't start doing it until about 10 months out.  

When I do eat fruit, I usually eat it with cheese to add protein.  So, I eat my grapes with block cheddar and I ea****ermelon with feta cheese.

I'm just now beginning to watch my carbs diligently, at 13.75 months out.  I eat about 120-160g per day right now, and I'd like to get under 100g.  Fruit will be the last carbs to go--the donuts have to go first!   I'm about 7 lbs away from my goal.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
AllieInOntario
on 7/27/11 9:27 am
I'm on week five I have already started eating raspberries and yesterday I had a few (3) large fresh strawberries.  No ill effects.  They certainly eased my want for something sweet.   What I do with the raspberries, is cut a few slices of cheese and eat with them, so I don't gorge on the fruit.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

walter A.
on 7/27/11 11:54 am - lafayette, NJ
i do about 4 pieces a day, watermellon, peaces, plums or whatever is in season.  no special diet or restriction of any kind for me.  other than about 25k in rx drug and vitimins. 
newyorkbitch
on 7/27/11 2:22 pm
That will change.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 374 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views