Had Final Consult - Revisional Surgery Set for August 15

Nannette
on 8/4/11 12:39 am - Toms River, NJ
Hi Everyone -- I've been lurking here on the DS board for a couple of months now, so you may or may not 'know me' but here's my story shortened to the Reader's Digest version.  --

Had RNY in June 2003 with Dr Heather McMullen at Staten Island University Hospital, at a starting weight of 340, (buried my husband in May 2004), lost 180 pounds within 18 months to 160 pounds.  Insurance covered 100% of RNY.  Coincidentally, Dr McMullen was doing DS at the time, and although I made myself familiar with it, my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I dismissed it -- Hindsight now!  STUPID.....

Had all of my plastics in 2005.  Insurance covered most of LBL and I self-paid (financed) for other procedures.  Maintained my weight through 2006 (remarried in June 2006).

Started regaining in early 2007, never feeling any restriction, got full eating, but shortly after was hungry again and could re-eat the amount I just ate!  Had endoscopy done which showed excessively enlarged stoma, and slightly enlarged pouch.  At 195 pounds, I saw Dr Shawn Garber in LI and had Stomophyx in October 2007 -- Self-paid -- What a RIP-OFF!  I was grasping at straws -- Did absolutely nothing for me -- I basically threw away $9K!!!!!!

Fast forward to 2011 -- I am currently at 225-230 pounds - gaining about 15 pounds per year, and desperate not to let all that I've already done go to waste -- started researching revisions.  Checked out BOB - dismissed rather quickly.  Checked out DS -- realized that was my last shot!

Met with Dr Greenbaum in NJ early this year -- he said I hadn't gained enough weight back, and that he was cutting back on revisions.  Met with Dr Roslin couple of months ago, provided him with all copies of past surgical reports, endoscopy and blood work, and he agreed to take me on. 

JOY -- (not for long) -- Come to find out that my medical insurance with small firm employer that I have been with for last two years has a Bariatric Exclusion against any surgery, as well as complications from past bariatric surgeries!  Tried several things to get around it, including getting on my husband's plan, which although they cover bariatric surgery -- is an HMO and does not have ANY out-of-network benefits.  Dr Roslin's office tried to see if they could get an exemption --  NO GO -- which means I am SELF-PAY!  OUCH>>>>>>

Decided I'm worth it -- and will take out money from retirement IRA that matures in December -- in the meantime, it's going on credit cards......Definately scared that any complications, however minor, could financially devastate me -- Total cost will be approximately $39K.  Hospital charge just went up another $1,500, plus a new NYS tax of $3,500 within last three week.  Oh well, guess I'm a gambler, but asking for prayers and good thoughts anyway!

Met with Dr Roslin yesterday for my final consult -- surgery scheduled for August 15th -- Here's how I understand the procedure, but many of you will probably be able to enlighten me further.  He will reconstruct my stomache into sleeve from unused part left behind from RNY (piecing portion of pou***** - and reinstate my pyloric valve.  He will then do traditional DS -- he mentioned lenghs of 125m for one, and 150m for other (although I'm not clear on which is which).  He said that there will be three connections/reconnections involved.

He briefly mentioned a type of DS being done in Spain with the intestined looped, that is a bit easier to do, with less connections, that he had done only once, but was very optimistic about, but gave me the choice.  I had read about this on this site, but when he mentioned it, he said my body language spoke volumns and he would do the traditional DS instead.

So, I have ordered my vitamins and some protein drinks -- let my job know that I will be out for three weeks (that's all I can take off reasonably), and will make the surgeon and hospital pre-payments next week.  The balance will be billed to me after the surgery.

I'll be getting myself to the hospital day of surgery by bus from the Jersey Shore -- day of dismissal, I'm hoping my sister or a friend can pick me up to drive me home.

I'll take any well wishes, hints, tips, etc -- I've read the DS Facts and other info you guys routinely give to pre-ops and newbies -- Thanks guys.

Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 1:04 am
Yes, your RNY will be completely reverse your RNY before doing the DS.

Best of luck with your revision.

Jody W.
on 8/4/11 1:12 am - Windsor, CT
WOW.... That is a lot ... I will be having surgery with Dr Roslin on the 16th... I may see you walking the halls... I have nothing to offer... but I wish you the best!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

teachmid
on 8/4/11 1:29 am - OKC, OK
Yes, You have it right. I was a self pay revision last December.

Best wishes to you.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 8/4/11 1:54 am - bay area, CA
Nannette, best wishes to you for your revision. I hope you will finally have the effective treatment that you deserve.
     And I'm grateful that you posted your whole story. That can't have been easy for you. Hopefully others who are considering their options, or who might make decisions based on what is easiest to obtain, or cheapest, of closest to home, will reconsider.

Larra
sandy_mt
on 8/4/11 3:51 am
 You'll be in good hands with Dr. Roslin.  Girl, you are going to be SKINNNNNY!!!!  Not gonna lie to you, recovery (at least for me) has been difficult to say the least.  I have had a lot of pain.  Today, at 3-1/2 weeks out I am finally starting to feel less pain.  I'm very happy for you!!!  Looking forward to your posting positive results!

Sandy

MomToTeens
on 8/4/11 8:05 am - OH
Yay!!  Best of luck on your revision and can't wait to read of your success!

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

litebrite
on 8/4/11 8:48 am - Telford, PA
best wishes to you.  I have my ds on 8/15!
DS on 8/15/11

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 9:33 am - San Jose, CA
"He will then do traditional DS -- he mentioned lenghs of 125m for one, and 150m for other (although I'm not clear on which is which)."

I think what he means is, your alimentary tract will be 275 cm (not meters!) long, of which 125 cm will be common channel, 150 cm will be the upper part from stomach to where the common channel begins.  But you should ask him to be sure.

125 cm is the UPPER limit of what I would personally want for a common channel.  You should also ask him what size he intends to make your stomach, though that may be a function of what it looks like after he stitches it back together first.
gak
on 8/4/11 10:40 am
Revision on 06/21/13
You are in good hands with Dr Roslin. Wishing you a smooth and problem free recovery. Walk, sip and repeat and you will do well.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 324 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views