Are we ENCOURAGED to eat fats?

bigsteve2010
on 8/8/11 11:48 pm - Williamsburg, MO
ok so when u look at carb/protein content...what kinda numbers are u looking for? i mean whats too high/too low ?
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 8/9/11 12:27 am, edited 8/9/11 12:28 am
Luckily you won't need to count numbers as much as you think, the DS actually simplifies things if you follow the basics:

You need 100 grams of protein per day. More is good.

Use full fat products only. Avoid processed foods or "low fat" since they are notorious for hidden carbs and other crap that's bad for you anyway. We only absorb 20% of the fat we eat, 80% just passes through. You NEED fat in your diet, it prevents constipation, is crucial for healthy hair, skin and nerves, and helps with the absorbtion of fat soluble vitamins like AEDK, which DSers tend to need most.

Veggies are fine, but eat protein first. If you have room for veggies after that, feel free.

All carbs and sugar will slow weight loss. Avoid all sugars completely since they are absorbed 100%. Grains and such are absorbed at 60%, so only eat those in moderation and if you have room AFTER you've finished your protein. If you're in the weight loss state post op, the general advice is to avoid carbs as much as you can stand.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 8/9/11 3:27 am - Burlington County, NJ
I am in maintenance and find a ratio of 3 grams of carbs to 1 gram of protein acceptable. When I was losing, I wanted a 1:1 ratio at most whenever possible.

scoob
on 8/9/11 5:13 am - Somerset, KY
Depends on how the day is going. I'm not a carb nazi. I am all about the protein though.If it's something VERY filling it has to be HIGH protein, little to NO carbs! Say bacon, I eat the thin slices.Each slice has a little less protein in it but you can fit more in, thus getting more protein and fat. If I want something sweet I go for a power bar. Little higher surgar content but has 10 protein, lots better then eating a regular candy bar, and these are inexpensive and don't taste like butt!! I eat colby, swiss slices instead of american cheese because of the protein. I don't eat cookies or cakes of any kind because of gas. But milk chocolate I have occasionaly. Like I said it depends on the day. I'm not anal about anything, just MINDFUL!!!!!!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

(deactivated member)
on 8/9/11 12:57 am
If you do end up going with Dr. Stewart you will have a post op diet class with Sue. She will encourage you to eat all the fats you want. She actually listens to her post op patients and put together a diet based on their feedback.
Nicolle
on 8/9/11 2:28 am
I don't think most surgeons would sanction that but then again, most surgeons do not live with a DS. If I do not have a goodly amount of fat in my diet, it's unpleasant to be me in the bathroom. So, I use real butter, full-fat cheese and dairy stuff, eat bacon, etc. Then I go potty like a champ!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

teachmid
on 8/9/11 3:28 am - OKC, OK
Of interest, when I saw Dr. Keshishian in June he recommended that I go to higher fat meats and stay away from the leaner products.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MarciRenee
on 8/9/11 3:59 am - IA
I second what everyone else has said:

1.  READ THIS FORUM BACK TO FRONT.  Seriously this will answer SO many of your questions, arm you with the info you need to live a healthy post-op life, and prepare you for the crazy ride of the DS.

2.  My surgeon doesn't "encourage" it.  But I didn't take my post-op eating advice from him.  I knew, from reading this forum, that most of the nutritional / food advice you get from your surgeon's office is WRONG.  They don't live with DS.  They also are cutters and pretty much only that.  So look elsewhere for your information.  You have to read and research and then do some trial and error and find what works best for YOUR body.

3.  I HAVE to take in a LOT of fat.  As in I have to find extra ways to add it into my diet.  I am one of those unfortunate people what post DS have issues with constipation.  So much so that I have to take miralax twice daily, lots of stool softeners, lots of liquids, lots of fats (I add oil to each of my 2 daily protein shakes to get more in), lots of magnesium glycinate, and take a less constipating form of calcium and Iron just to be able to go regularly.  My case seems to be pretty severe...so don't let that scare you.  This is NOT the issue I was worried about having!  I was worried about ****ting myself silly post-op! 
Marci       
Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 15 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1092 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1268 views
Need help for my mom