starting 2 week pre-op diet tomorrow

meredith_123
on 8/28/11 8:49 am - Waterford, MI

I can't believe this surgery is getting so close.  My 2 week pre-op diet starts tomorrow.  So my hubby is taking me out for 1 last dinner before the surgery, since it will be a while before we can do this again.  Going to a yummy local BBQ place called the Woodshop. 

My surgeon requires that you eat their prepackaged products for this 2 week diet to shrink your liver.  Not looking forward to living on 800 - 900 calories a day.  I already split all the food into 14 bags & added up all the calories for each day.  So now each day I just have to grab a bag and that's my food for the day, should be easy enough. 

So any last minute pre-op suggestions to get me ready for my impending surgery?  I've been so excited for this day to come, now that it's getting so close, I'm starting to feel a little nervous.

Meredith

5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
Julie R.
on 8/28/11 12:47 pm - Ludington, MI
 Wow!   Your time is almost here.    For me, the two week diet sucked.    I was an impossible, whiney ***** for the entire time, but I know it's a given at GHP, so I sucked it up and did it.     I figured I had the rest of my life to go back to being nice, LOL.

Couple of suggestions - make sure you pack lip balm, pajama bottoms and nice supportive slippers.   The lip balm for the obvious reasons, and the pajama bottoms and slippers because you are going to want to do as much walking as possible - it will hasten the healing process.   It's tough to put a robe or pajama top on with your IV's, but the bottoms will help cover your rump and make it easier to walk, and you can just leave your hospital gown on the top half.

Good luck!  Give me a shout out if you need some moral support!

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Katie K.
on 8/28/11 1:33 pm - Grand Haven, MI
I had a few "cheats" that I allowed myself in that two week time... if you feel you are going nutty... allow yourself something...

You have the best Surgeon in Michigan! Congrats on the start of new adventures!! I am just over 3 months out with a Kemmeter DS and am happy as the dickens!!

Julie is a Vet with DS and Kemmeter... she knows her ****e....she knows other stuff too!! LOL..
"Nobody will fault you for trying" - My mother
Seminar: 1/8/2011. Initial Appt: 1/27/2011. Behaviorist: 1/31.2011. Surgeon 1/31/2011
Sleep Study: 2/7/2011.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

elixir
on 8/28/11 2:13 pm - MI
You'll do fine, Meredith. The two week diet isn't pleasant. Sometimes you'll feel full and sometimes you'll be starving. I'm *****y when I'm hungry and was irritated each time my family ate something that smelled delicious. You just have to tell yourself that it's just for a short period of time... and then you'll be switched. It's a small price to pay in the long run.

Good luck! You're about to become part of the Kemmeter Club!

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

mrsannie
on 8/28/11 10:43 pm
 Wow at least you can eat!  I had a 2 week liquid diet and it was during the Christmas holidays too!  That really sucked, but it goes fast and before you know it, you won't even remember it.  I did have a few times where I needed to eat something, so I focused on pure protein, like a few bites of plain tuna or a stick of cheese.

Like I said, it sucks and you'll be hungry, but its sooooooooooo worth it!  Good luck and I'll see you on the Dark Side  

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
DianaRR
on 8/29/11 5:33 am - CA
My doctor's office wanted us to blow up 10 balloons a day for 2 weeks before surgery as a lung strengthening exercise.

Also, make sure you drink tons of water.
meredith_123
on 8/29/11 7:28 am - Waterford, MI
thanks for all the replies.  I hadn't thought of the balloons, I'll have to go buy some.  My kids will like that. 

I've already warned my hubby that I'm going to be crabby.  So far today hasn't been that bad.  But I've been so focused on food today.  I think I counted out how many items were left in my bag at least 5 times.  I couldn't concentrate at work, I just keep re-figuring out how much more time until I could eat something else, since none of the things I've had really qualify as a meal by my standards. 

I was planning to bring some comfy shorts to wear under the gown, I'll have to get some slippers.  I don't have any, but would flip flops work?  That's what I live in when I'm not working.

Anyone know if St. Mary's provides a fan for in the room?  I'm hot alot & I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. 
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
elixir
on 8/29/11 6:13 pm - MI
St Mary's gave me a couple pairs of those sock-like slippers that have the grippers on the bottom. I didn't even bother to bring slippers. I brought as little  as possible. I packed a pair of yoga pants and a pair of gym shorts and several pairs of panties, which I didn't wear but brought with just in case TOM came early (which it didn't.) I also brought my Nintendo DS, which I did play for a little bit and a book, which I didn't touch. My mom brought me a color book and crayons when she came to visit, which my 17 y/o used to keep herself busy while the nurses checked me out and gave me meds. I didn't turn the TV in the room on the entire time; for the most part when I wasn't sleeping I was walking or had visitors.

I was freezing in the hospital room and kept having them pile blankets up on me so I'm not sure about the fan. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

halblingefrau
on 8/29/11 4:52 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
As Julie said before " I was an impossible, whiney ***** for the entire time" and I can relate!  The pre-op diet SUCKED. 

And seriously, you will regret cheating if you do.  Learn from my mistake.  One week in I decided I NEEDED a single small Taco Bell taco and I'd be damned if I didn't get it.  Ten minutes after eating it, I sharted and had to go home and change.  No joke.  Never ever eating there again.  My pre-op-diet-cleansed guts were NOT happy and I seriously doubt my post-op guts would be either.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views