Brownish Urine

sbp7
on 8/30/11 2:46 am - Munster, IN
I am almost 8 months out and just recently, for the last 4 days, I have had a few instances of very dark, almost brownish urine. Anyone else experience this? Perhaps I have not been getting enough fluids and it is just dehydration. I have been drinking less water and more diet soda, but definitely close to 100 oz/day.

I read online it could be from a urinary tract infection, kidney stones, kidney disease, etc. Maybe all the calcium citrate that UK taking has caused some stones...
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 3:01 am, edited 8/30/11 3:01 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
When I got hepatitis from food, a symptom of it was brownish urine (bilirubin) and chalk white fecal matter!  Of course, that came after being so sick I was having delusions of being able to see my DNA and where on the chain I was screwed up that it was making me so sick.  :} 

Swinging by the doctor is not a bad idea to get your urine dipped or something similar.

Take care of you and pushing water would not hurt, whatever the issue.
trxxyy
on 8/30/11 3:37 am - Orange County, CA
I recently had something similar happen but my issues started out with lower abdominal pain and lower back pain on my left hand side.  Not soon after I noticed reddish/pink/ brown urine but no other symptoms.  I ended up going to urgent care after my surgeon ruled out bowel obstruction and they did a urine culture and an x-ray of my kidneys.  The doctor there said that I was dehydrated but I showed no stones on the x-ray so he sent me on my way with a prescription of Cipro to treat a UTI. 

The following week I saw my surgeon for a planned follow up appointment and he asked if they did a CT scan while I was at urgent care.  They hadn't and he went on to explain that a lot of small gravel type kidney stones will not show up on an x-ray, only the big suckers.  He still believes I probably had some kidney gravel going through me since I recovered pretty quickly and I showed no other signs of a UTI.

I was like you and was drinking more diet soda then I normally do and not enough water. I have returned to drinking much more water and if I do get a diet soda I go and get a soda fountain where I can fill up a huge cup with ice and then add half diet with the other half soda water.

mehrinm
on 8/30/11 4:09 am - New York, NY
I get that with dehydration.  Maybe increase your water for a few days and see what happens.
Elizabeth N.
on 8/30/11 5:50 am - Burlington County, NJ
You need a pee test, like this afternoon. It's probably nothing, but there are several very bad things that it COULD be. Or it could be something simple now that will be awful by Friday afternoon.

(Says she who has ignored mild pee issues and then landed in the ER in utter agony.)

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 7:56 am
Definitely see the doctor, pronto.  It's probably dehydration but could be liver or kidney issues or even rhabdomyolsis. 

Did I scare you sufficiently to see the doctor?  Good, go. 
Emily F.
on 8/30/11 8:06 am
make an appt asap, could be a lot of things, but dehydration that bad can cause more problems. Do you mean 100 oz of soda a day or water?
sbp7
on 8/30/11 10:23 am - Munster, IN
So I tried to get an appointment and couldn't get anything soon. I will head to urgent care tomorrow and get it checked out. My best guess is probably some small kidney stones. I did have some pain last week in my penis now that I think of it. Probably not a coincidence.
Steve

Duodenal Switch January 4, 2011
Dr. Vivek Prachand. University of Chicago Hospital

Elizabeth N.
on 8/30/11 11:25 am - Burlington County, NJ
If you get worse overnight, get to the ER.

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 12:18 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I'm guessing you're not on flagyl? That can turn urine brown. I echo everyone else - any pain, get to the ER right away!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 360 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 819 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views