A couple questions on Iron, Probiotics and ADEK

galla1
on 9/5/11 11:53 pm
Can anyone tell me what kind Iron they take..I have an RX from my doctor and it seems to give me horrible gas... My other problem is probiotics, they give me bad gas also, I have tried a couple different ones. As far as the ADEK (chewable) from Vita Lady is 3 of those pills really enough everyday? Thanks:)
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/6/11 12:03 am - Tuvalu

See...that's the problem with iron.  So I kind of wonder HOW deficient you are.  Are you already needing iron or are you trying to prevent a problem?

Here's why...iron pills can tear up guts.  Some more, some less...but they have that tendency.  And iron injections can stain or tatoo your skin and, according to my hematologist, they can be QUITE painful.  Iron infusions involve sitting in a recliner and watching a chick flick.

Guess which I opted for!  Of course, my numbers support that choice.  Maybe yours do, maybe they don't.

Sue
galla1
on 9/6/11 12:24 am
Thanks so much, No I don't have any issues so far with iron I am almost 4 months out, but my doctor said since I am still young and having a period that I should take iron?
Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/6/11 12:05 am - Tuvalu

Oh, and some probiotics require that you EASE into them.  Like if it's a two-a-day thing, you might have to start with 1/2 per day.

But there a many formulations so perhaps a different brand next time?
teachmid
on 9/6/11 12:14 am - OKC, OK
I take Proferrin forte 3 times a day ......no stomach problems. Can't take other iron. Working on iron infusions.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

galla1
on 9/6/11 12:26 am
Thanks i will try that, So my other question would be do most people get iron problems later out or does it just depend? Thanks again ladies for all your advice!!
teachmid
on 9/6/11 1:13 am - OKC, OK
For clarification, the Proferrin ES is non-prescription and the forte is prescription. I started with one a day.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 12:36 am, edited 9/6/11 12:37 am
Joanlaptods
on 9/6/11 7:45 am
I can only tolerate proferrin. I take 2 a day. No 3 ADEK chewable is not enough, you need to take dry D, E and A and K1 as well separately (see vitalady"s starting plan for DSer's) I took the chewable the first few weeks when I couldn't swallow alot of pills. The ADEK chewable is more like a multivit. Hope this helps.
Joan

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

mrsannie
on 9/6/11 8:13 am
Hi, I had trouble with my Iron and ws quite deficient, and was at risk for injections as well.  Turns out I wasn't takig the right kind at the right time and was taking it with what I shouldn't, here's what the hematologist told me:

1.  Only take Carbonyl Iron, like Feosol FE  (OTC.)  We DSers absorb this type much better
2.  Take on an empty stomach 
3.   Do not take with any dairy
3.  Take with Vitamin C, it helps with absorbtion.  Iron needs an acidic environment.
4.  Do not take Iron anywhere near your acid reflux meds. 
5.  Take enough, I now take 4 tabs a day (that's 180mg)
6.  Do not laydown for at least 15 minutes after taking Iron.

I followed this advice and I've been much better. 
Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views