DS Surgeons on Long Island

discodawng
on 9/7/11 10:13 am - Hicksville, NY
I had the DS, 03/19/01 with Dr. M. Gagner. He is now in Canada. I'd like to find a local Dr. on Long Island for followup care & in case of Emergency. Please share! Thank You! Dawn
larra
on 9/7/11 11:27 am - bay area, CA
You can find a list of the vetted DS surgeons on dsfacts.com. I don't know my NYC geography well enough to say which ones, if any, are on Long Island, but I'm sure you do.

Larra
newyorkbitch
on 9/7/11 11:36 am, edited 9/7/11 11:57 am
Go into Manhattan.  Inabnet,  Pomp,  Roslin.

When you're ready for plastics...Zachary Gerut,  in Hewlett.

newyorkbitch
on 9/7/11 11:59 am
Oh sorry about my response below - I thought you were looking to have a DS.

You don't need a surgeon for followup care - you need a good internist who is willing and able to understand your issues.

discodawng
on 9/9/11 8:27 am - Hicksville, NY
Hi! I had the DS with Dr. Gagner a year after you. Maybe we know each other from support group meetings. I've had 4 surgeries with Dr. Gerut. Tummy tuck, hernia, lower neck lift & a revision.  My last one was June 9,2011. I also want my back flab & inner thighs done. My name is Dawn Giudice.
newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 1:47 pm
I also did multiple things with Gerut.  Last one was a few years ago. 

We don't know each other.  I went to,  I think,  maybe 2 of those "support group" meetings at Mt Sinai after my surgery,  I found them to be ridiculous and I never went back.

goodkel
on 9/9/11 8:47 am
I don't believe there are any on Long Island, but there's Dr. Pomp in NYC.

You don't really need to follow up with a surgeon. That's not their specialty, anyway. I had my DS in Mexico 4 years ago and haven't needed to contact my surgeon once. On the medical history/meds sheet I carry with me, I list both my surgeon's contact info and the contact info of Dr. Elariny the nearest (4 hours away, but same time zone) DS surgeon to me just in case.

However, last November I was rushed to the ER with an obstruction caused by a hernia. They didn't want to listen to me that I needed a CT scan with contrast and was about to release me when I asked them if they had any bariatric surgeons on call & requested that they consult with them first. He authorized it over the phone and then came in and operated on me. He was an RnY surgeon. He didn't need to know how to perform the DS. He fixed the hernia and untwisted some intestine. End of story.

Are you having problems with your DS now?
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

discodawng
on 9/10/11 1:35 pm - Hicksville, NY
I'm not having any problems now. Its been 10 years & every year I go see Dr. Dakin at NY Presbyterian for a followup. Dr. Pomp is in his office also, but takes no insurance. I always worry that If I have a problem, I'd like a DS surgeon on LI. TY!
newyorkbitch
on 9/10/11 1:45 pm
How do you like Dakin?

I don't see a surgeon at all,  ever, for any reason.  I have a good internist,  hematologist,  endocrinologist,  gastroenterologist...as needed.
discodawng
on 9/11/11 2:25 am - Hicksville, NY
Dr. Dakin is OK. I have my bloodwork done prior to my yearly appt & also see Liz Goldenberg his nutritionist. She is very throught & goes over all my lab work & sometimes adjusts some of my vitamins. I keep in touch with Dakin, incase he knows any type of issues that are developing with long term DS patients. You never know. I'd like to be on the outlook. At my 10 year appt last March, he was happy with my progress & said I was a success story! I still suffer from chronic constipation, but that is the least of my problems. No more diabetes, high cholesterol & blood pressure! Overall, I'm very happy with my decision of having the DS. And I've had a few plastic surgeries with Dr. Gerut. Is your name Linda or Jill?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1037 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views