OT: Painful lump in groin...hernia??

Felicia S.
on 9/11/11 11:57 pm - Lincoln, NE
(Sorry! I posted this on the wrong board at first, so this is a cross post.)

On Friday I noticed a painful lump in my groin near where my leg crease and vagina meet.  The pain travels down the left side of my labia.  It is warm to the touch.  Do not see any ingrown hair or anything like that.  It is getting worse.  On Friday I found it while showering.  It hurt a little while washing the area, but other than that it didn't bother me.  Today it hurts to walk and the lump is a little bigger.  It is NOT excruciatingly painful or anything like that.  I do not feel like I need pain medicine, but it does hurt.

I called today and made an appt for tomorrow afternoon.

But I was wondering if any of you have had an inguinal or femoral hernia?  If so, were the symptoms similar to what I am explaining?  I suppose it could just be an enlarged lymph node and it's more painful because I keep messing with it to feel the lump.

Felicia
HW 264 SW 248 CW 140.8 GW 140 

Its a Secret
on 9/12/11 12:01 am
Sounds like a boil rather than a hernia.  It's caused by staph or I think strep infection.  Similar to an ingrown hair.  I've never heard of a hernia being warm to the touch.

Hot, moist packs to help bring it to a head (if that's even possible considering the area.

Good luck hun :)

Felicia S.
on 9/12/11 12:05 am - Lincoln, NE

Thank you!  I'll try what you've suggested! :)

Felicia

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:04 am - Beverly, NJ
I second the boil theory or an abscess. I get them from time to time. They are normally warm to the touch and can grow quick. When they "pop" they can smell so be prepared. Make an appointment with your doctor and they may prescribe you antibiotics and/or want to drain it. I've had rather large ones that were drained and dressed.
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 3:29 am - San Jose, CA

Your description of the location of this lump is rather vague to me - your VAGINA is inside your body, not on the outside near your leg crease.  So I can't tell from your description whether this lump is INSIDE your outer labia or not.

The reason I'm asking is that 30+ years ago, I discovered a lump INSIDE my outer labia near the OPENING to my vagina - and I mean a HUGE lump - almost the size of a testicle.  It was a Bartholin's cyst (http://www.bartholins.com/ - there are pix), which required surgery to fix.

Felicia S.
on 9/12/11 4:27 am - Lincoln, NE

Thanks...I'll try to explain better.  It is on the outside on the left side of my mons...the pain extends down the outside of my labia toward my rectum but stops before my vaginal orifice.  Mine is not huge like yours was...I would estimate it is the size of a normal-sized marble.  I'll let you all know what the doctor says after my appointment tomorrow.

Felicia

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 4:32 am - San Jose, CA

OK good - not that ANY painful lumps down there are good!  But the Bartholin's cyst went on for a few months while the doctors tried "conservative" Tx with antibiotics, and I ended up with surgery anyway - it was NOT pleasant.

Felicia S.
on 9/12/11 4:35 am - Lincoln, NE
Youch!  I can only imagine!  I'm sorry you had to suffer for months with that! :( 

I'm thinking mine might be a boil or a cyst.  I shave in that area and probably have an ingrown hair.  I don't see a pimple in that area, but it could be that it just needs to come to a head.  We'll see.  Thanks again!

gak
on 9/12/11 1:01 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
OUCHY, hope it's a painless simple fix. makes me cringe thinking of the options.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

J G.
on 9/12/11 3:32 pm

Felicia,  maybe google superficial phelbitis......

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 320 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views