OT: Frugal Living (or how to afford the DS when you are poor like me)

beemerbeeper
on 9/27/11 12:17 am - AL
If I get to move I will be calling to cancel and will see if I can get a deal.  You have a great deal compared to what I get for my $100 now.  If it turns out I am not going to move I am going to see what I can do also but I may console my broken heart by keeping my cable AND adding a new TV that can get internet and adding netflix too.

~Becky

Diane Davis
on 9/28/11 6:02 am
Becky, I know everyone keeps talking about antenna's, but one thing you have to consider is the investment of the antenna,  tower (if you'll need it), and installation, not to mention the digital converter box.  It might pay off in the long run (with the exception of not recieving your favorite shows) pricewise, but will be an investment upfront.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/11 11:20 pm
beemerbeeper
on 9/27/11 12:19 am - AL
All the toys are nice.  But man are they expensive.  My kids think cable with all the movie channels and HD etc... is a necessity of life.  I'm trying to learn to live with less.

~Becky

Kayla B.
on 9/27/11 5:34 am - Austin, TX
This is such a great philosophy.

I spend way too much money on this crap.  LOL

I am always moaning about how I don't have time to read anymore...yeah, no kidding, I spent 2 hrs watching TV and 2 hrs clicking online!

I love my internet though, but I just can't see myself paying $40-50 to get online...but $80 to watching TV and play online...somehow that rationalizes the situation!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
adkmtngirl
on 9/27/11 12:23 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Becky, 

We just bought my dh a Straight Talk Smart Phone from Walmart- he gets the $45 a month plan, and with that and an app he paid $14 for and $7 for a special usb cord he runs his laptop on i****ches netflix, plays world of warcraft with no problems. So, basically, after the initial shelling out of money for the new phone,  app fee & cord, we just pay $45 a month for him to have unlimited internet (the phone app makes it a wifi hot spot, so if you have a wifi compatable computer you don't need the cord,he just prefers it) and his phone too. My sister discovered the app and has her house hooked up on it because she isn't in an area that has cable/internet unless its through the phone company. She runs two computers off it at once. 
Kristina

beemerbeeper
on 9/27/11 12:40 am - AL
Kristina,

Ding Ding Ding...  We have a winner!!!

Good grief.  Internet and phone for $45?  Very smart.

~Becky

adkmtngirl
on 9/27/11 4:29 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Oh yeah, we figure because of how much he works away from home and all his down time is spent on the internet visiting with everybody that we'll save lots of money in the end....after all,his old cell phone cost us $50 a month and we paid $20 a week for his internet in the truck stops. In 2 months we'll have saved what we shelled out on the phone. The phone was just under $200.
Kristina

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/27/11 12:37 am - Tuvalu

Our daughter, went on an austerity program and cancelled cable.  She now enjoys all the funky shows she can get on her HD converter box, which unvolved a total of $20 to purchase the box. 

We spend right around $120/month for landline phone with unlimited nationwide calling and discounted internation and basic cable.
beemerbeeper
on 9/27/11 12:43 am - AL
I didn't know you could get shows on an HD coverter box?  So confused.  That is what local channels went on and on about for a couple of years right?  Does she also have a big antenna?  Does she get local channels?

That might be better for me than anything else we've discussed.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1253 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views