Feeling cold after surgery

jodic1966
on 10/1/11 2:20 am
 I have heard a lot of people say they feel cold all the time after surgery. My surgery was Sept 20th so I'm not even two weeks out and I am freezing all the time. My side of the bed looks like I am living in the Arctic! I'm kind of worried about this Winter since I am at the beginning of my weight loss and its only October 1st (granted it is snowing today where I am!! Yikes)  I have a feeling nobody will know I've lost weight until Spring because I'm going to be layered up so much trying to stay warm! LOL Oh what a terrible problem to have :D

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

happydsr
on 10/1/11 3:26 am, edited 1/28/12 11:41 am
jodic1966
on 10/1/11 5:47 am
Oooooo...sweaters! I haven't had any new sweaters in years

I do have lots of the clothes I "outgrew" on my way up the scale. It will be nice to see my old friends again on the way down.

I think what I am curious about is how long does this last (which you answered) My best friend had RNY about ten years ago and she doesn't seem to have any problems anymore but I remember her saying in the early days thermal underclothing was her go to wardrobe pieces.

Of all the problems to have I'll take this one I can always put on more layers!!!
callmeEJ
on 10/1/11 4:19 am - Minneapolis, MN
Feeling chilled/cold may be a sign of dehydration. Are you getting in all your fluids?
-EJ
"If television's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up." -cat and girl

5'6" HW 325 / SW 317 / CW 214 / First Goal 190    |    Century Club 09/19/2011
jodic1966
on 10/1/11 5:34 am, edited 10/1/11 5:34 am
Definitely getting in my hydration...so far today I've had at least 60 oz of fluids and 24g of protein and I'm not done . I take dehydration very seriously and am working hard to keep it from happening. I got slightly dehydrated in the hospital since my veins kept failing the IV...they put in a PICC line and I felt better almost immediately. That feeling stank and I don't want to go there again! Thanks for the suggestion tho

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

no_more_rolls
on 10/1/11 6:12 am - Jackson, MI
I was told that being cold after surgery is normal because your body needs to recover from the anestheia and/or any blood loss...although I am not sure how long after this is true for.

I'm almost 3 months out and cold all the time too.  When I went to the doctor recently I complained about being cold all the time.  My PCP said it's most likely nothing to worry about it's most likely just my body is used to having extra layers of fat on it that kept me warm.  Lately I've been wearing lots of layers and sweats, besides sweats can get you through several sizes of clothing at less expense 

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

angermanis
on 10/2/11 11:51 am - Maple Glen, PA
I absolutely hear you on the always being cold. Today we hit maybe 63 and I swore it was colder in the house than outside! Even took 2 walks so I can get out of the cold house. I was bundled under covers all day and have hijacked the dog for a 2nd night to sleep with me. I call him my little heater. haha! I live with my sister and brother in law who like it nice and cool in the house. When I complained, I was told to wear layers. Ugghhh!!! Nothing like being in a cold house. Even with layers on you still can't get comfy. I can see it is going to be a long fall/winter.

pktwatch
on 10/2/11 12:09 pm
My surgery was a day after yours and I agree about being cold. I was always the one to complain about it being to hot in here......now I want to turn up the heat!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 334 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom