DS mentioned on NPR's Weekend Edition

sotto_voce
on 10/4/11 11:28 pm - Alpharetta, GA
http://www.npr.org/2011/10/01/140803898/surgery-not-a-magic- pill-for-obese-patients

I scrolled back through the recent posts and didn't see anything about this, so here ya go!

NPR is doing a series on Obesity in America and one of the people they interviewed had a DS. I'm not sure from the article that this person understands the most effective way for DS patients to eat, but I am glad to see it being mentioned in national media. They also mistakenly refer to his surgery as "gastric bypass" in one paragraph of the article, which is unfortunate.

"Big Boy had what is known as the duodenal switch surgery. More than 70 percent of his stomach was removed, and his intestines were rerouted. Eight years later, he maintains his weight right around 200 pounds."

Also, the article also offers a balanced look at the Lap Band and explains why many physicians are now turning away from that device due to complications and disappointing results.

Good article if you have the time!

Bethany

Janet P.
on 10/5/11 3:00 am
I heard it on Saturday. On-air they only briefly mentioned the DS. I'll have to check out the website.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 12:02 pm, edited 10/5/11 12:03 am
Dang!!!

That is absolutely inexcusable! One of my friends from my reporter days in Chicago, Allison Keyes, is a reporter at NPR in Washington. We keep in touch, and I'm calling her...RIGHT NOW!!!
nightowl
on 10/5/11 6:14 pm - Topeka, KS
Thanks for posting -- I had missed this story.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 371 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views