LAP BAND...... NO EFFIN WAY!!!

Yehuda G.
on 10/7/11 1:12 pm
Gina, I don't want to offend you, but I think Becky is 100% correct in that it seems that you really do not understand all of your options and the technical difficulties involved in successfully revising a failed gastric bypass.

I posted a link where Keshishian explains erny vs ds. I really hope you take more time to research your options for revision before continuing with your consults. You have to know what you want and need with revision before you pick a qualified surgeon. I wouls hate to see you get "blindly" pushed into settling for a second rate surgery.

Yehuda
beemerbeeper
on 10/7/11 12:49 pm, edited 10/7/11 12:49 pm - AL
I'm sorry but I would not be "hoping" that he will do what you want.  I would be talking with Keshishian. 

Edited:  Well obviously you don't know what you want.  Until you've decided for yourself if you want a sleeve, a DS or and ERNY you shouldn't be talking to surgeons at all.

This is the correct order:

1. Decide what procedure you want.
2. Find the surgeon who feels confident he can give it to you.
3. Schedule surgery.

You are going about this all backward which is a recipe for disaster.  Or at least for getting what your surgeon wants to give you instead of what you want to have.

~Becky

Yehuda G.
on 10/7/11 1:06 pm
Very true. It seems as if she really hasn't been educated about the different options for revision and the technical difficulties in revising a failed rny. I know Roslin is a great surgeon, but he is not like Keshishian or Rabkin. I would hate to see him feel that he couldn't do a ds and push her towards getting a band. That would be sad.
ginany
on 10/7/11 1:29 pm - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
I want the DS.  That i know.  I dont want a band.  I know that.  if I cant have a DS, I was lookig to see what other options there are besides a band.  I know DS is dfficult.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 3:04 am - Burlington County, NJ

Gina, there is another option, one I know you don't want to hear: No more surgery.

There is such a thing as being a true non-candidate for surgery. I hope that is not the case for you, but it needs to be mentioned.

There are worse ways to live--and die--than living fat. I'm going to start a thread about the friend I buried last week that I would like you to read.

newyorkbitch
on 10/8/11 5:52 am
Keshishian based his response (irresponsibly so, imho),  on very little information.  Roslin will have the benefit of your GI series, endoscopy, CT-scan. 

Seems to me that Roslin is being thorough and cautious and you should listen to him.

Do not attempt to coerce a surgeon into doing a procedure he is not comfortable doing on you.  You do not want to die.
NoMore B.
on 10/7/11 1:34 pm
 Something doesnt add up. He's been pretty vocal against the band.  In any event, in no way should you get it.  IMHO doing nothing is better than getting the band.

I'd follow through with the tests and have a detailed conversation with him on what's what, and if you dont get what you want find yourself a way to California
ginany
on 10/7/11 1:42 pm - brooklyn, NY
DS on 04/23/12
Yes even at the seminar he was against the band.
Gina    

RNY 1/26/06 
SW 345
Revised to DS 4/23/12
SW 268

newyorkbitch
on 10/8/11 12:06 am
Let's insert some reality into this discussion, Gina.  First of all Dr Roslin is an experienced DS revision surgeon,  he's competent and smart and cautious.  I'm sorry he's not giving you the answer you want -  but maybe there's a good ******g reason.  You have a complicaed surgical situation and you may just have to accept the reality that the DS is too dangerous for you.  Maybe not,  but the possibility is there.

You have not finished your testing yet - you have to get your CT-scan and endoscopy and then talk to Roslin again and see what he says.  And then you have to understand why he is saying what he is saying.  You MUST educate yourself on your own anatomy,  your own surgical issues,  the risks,  and ALL of your surgical options and their various risks.

If Roslin feels you are a DS candidate after you have completed all your testing, etc....then you'll go ahead.  If he does not,  and you want a second opinion,  you could do a long distance consult with Keshishian but only AFTER you have in your own hand ALL of your test results and your chart including notes from Roslin.  If Roslin says no DS,  then you TELL HIM you are going to get a second opinion (he should have no problem with this) and you get a COMPLETE copy of all your testing and all of your chart and his notes and you make copies and you send the entire thing to Keshishan ahead of your phone consult.

But let's add another reality factor in - as you have said several times,  you cannot afford to go out of network,  let alone travel across the country.  So maybe you can get a second opinion from Keshishian,  but he's not an option for you so going down that road is not helpful to you.

Another option is that you have a consult with Pomp at Cornell.  Or Inabnet at Sinai.  Now I know that these two are not on your insurance,  but perhaps you should pay to have a consult and a second opinion - at least these two doctors are local to you.

Another thing is this - let's say Roslin says no DS for you (perhaps you shouldn't do it then,  but that's another issue)...let's say some sack of gold fell on your head and let's say Keshishian said yes - and then you go across the country for a risky and complicated revision and then you fly home to NYC.  Then what the **** are you gonna do if something goes wrong - call Roslin to save you and deal with whatever happens post-op,  when he told you in the first place not to do it ???

You have to think these things through Gina.

Look we all understand how much you want a DS - we've all been there.  But the first thing you have to do is slow down,  get all your testing done,  have a LENGTHY discussion with Roslin and UNDERSTAND everything about what he has found,  why he is recommending what he is recommending...

....yes he thinks lap-band is inferior,  but that doesn't mean it may not be an option for you because your options may be LIMITED.  You have to focus on staying alive....if it turns out that the DS is too risky,  then you may not be able to do it.  But you don't know yet.

Get through your testing.  Get Roslin's feedback after that.  Write down EVERYTHING,  get copies of ALL of your testing results and your ENTIRE chart.  Make sure you understand EVERYTHING from all of that.

Then you'll see what's next.

But please try to stay glued to reality.  And stop thinking about going across the country - first of all it is not an option for you,  and second,  Roslin hasn't given you a final answer and you don't even understand yet all the issues - so wait until your testing is back and you talk to Roslin again after that.

One step at a time.  It's not time to think about second opinions yet.

NoMore B.
on 10/8/11 12:13 am
 Excellent advice!
Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 0 replies · 6 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 0 replies · 6 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1085 views
calcium/protein