Pure Protein Bars Opinions wanted.

pktwatch
on 10/11/11 3:17 am
Meijer store is having a Saturday Only sale (10-15-2011) They have these Protein bars, buy 2 get 3 free!  Pure Protein Chewy Chocolate Chip Bar, Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe Bar, Pure Protein Peanut Butter Caramel Surprise Bar.  
They have 50g of protein per bar but I do not know how many carbs or calories........
Have you tried the Pure Protein bars and what is your opinion of them? I am only 3 weeks out of surgery and may not be able to eat them yet but I thought that I might stock up if anyone thinks it's a good idea.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

pktwatch
on 10/11/11 3:22 am
Well I went to the Prue Protein website. It seems that the bars have 20g of Protein, I guess the bar size is 50g.....maybe just to confuse us a little?

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

* Gail R *
on 10/11/11 3:52 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I use protein bars as a convenience for travel. I don't like most of them that much but they are palatable when you're hungry. Everyone has a different taste in bars. The one brand I love, my kids hate-which is a great thing LOL.  You have to try them and decide. I try to get those that have twice the protein than carbs. Costo, for example carried the Premier bar at 30 pr. 14 cb. I don't love them but they are a good ratio.
Again, I use them as a convenience but would much rather eat my protein in foods like shell fish, shrimp and chicken. I could eat shrimp and scallops quite early out for example.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

pauliegirl69
on 10/11/11 4:34 am - NJ
Beware the sugar alcohols in the bars..they cause gas. Not good for a new DS plumbing.
NoMore B.
on 10/11/11 4:50 am, edited 10/11/11 4:51 am
 I'd be careful stocking up on the bars this early out.  Most of them have sugar alcohols and they're going to be pretty harsh for your new DS.  You will also find that your tastes are going to change if they havent already, so I wouldnt do too much stocking up on anything.

Protein bars definitely have a place in my DS life.  I usually stash a few in my brief case or overnight bag when I'm traveling - but I dont use them as a staple.  I prefer to make a shake (more protein), and early out shakes were easier for me to get down, the bars were too filling.  I found that in time I could get the same protein in protein bars from other sources that were easy to find and I preferred - things like a few pieces of string cheese and a hard boiled egg, rolled up cold cuts, rotisserie chicken I'd pick off of in my frig for a day or two...

So I would see how they'll work for you before you invest too much in stocking.  Being a new DS'er my biggest concern for you would be the sugar alcohols.  Good chance it'll have you running to the bathroon.
Ellen G.
on 10/11/11 6:15 am - Bensalem, PA
I agree with what everybody is saying about the sugar alcohols.  I'm 13 months out and they still bother me.  Atkins makes a decent bar, just read the labels because some of them contain sugar alcohols and some don't.  The Zone bars are tasty but they are a little carby, no sugar alcohols though. 
halblingefrau
on 10/11/11 6:39 am - Flagstaff, AZ
I definitely agree with what was said about sugar alcohols.  I celebrated my 2nd surgiversary yesterday, and me and sugar alcohols do NOT get along.  I don't have any bad stool problems, but the gas... OH MY GOD the gas!

One bar that I've found quite tasty and had really good stats was Quest Bars (http://www.questproteinbar.com/).  I ordered hte Vanilla ones and the mixed berry ones and they were good.  Not overly sweet.  Very dense though (as in thick and takes some effort to chew).  They don't fall apart easily like other bars so I keep one in my purse for emergencies.  Also, they're not chocolate covered so they withstand heat pretty well too.  I believe the stats are like 20g protein, 4g carbs (more but it's all fiber), and NO sugar alcohols.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 11:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
I hate them. Buy just one and try it before you stock up. There are very few protein bars I can stand.

califsleevin
on 10/12/11 5:06 am - CA
The Pure Protein bars have one of the better profiles of protein to calories out there. I have some that are 50g with 20g protein and there are some bigger 78g bars that have about 32g protein. The small bars have about 200 cal, depending on the variety while the 78g bars are in the 300cal range. For me, I can't use the big bars as they're too big for me as a snack and I don't need that much protein anyway; my wife used the big bars half at a time when she was in her first year or so after her DS but doesn't much anymore (she prefers the atkins bars, not quite as good of a nutritional profile, but better tasting to her, tho she still has the PP bars if I get a Costcoload of them.)

I second the motion of not loading up on them too much until you try them - everyone's tastes are different.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

pktwatch
on 10/12/11 6:07 am

This is copied from the lable,  Is Sugars 3g, and Sugar Alcohol 7g a lot?

Serving Size: 1 Bar (50g), Amount Per Serving:

Calories

180, Calories from Fat 35,

Total Fat 4g (6% DV), Saturated Fat 3g (14% DV), Trans Fat 0g,

Cholesterol

Carbohydrate

0mg (0% DV), Sodium 70mg (3% DV), Potassium 20mg (1% DV), Total18g (6% DV), Dietary Fiber 0g (0% DV), Sugars 3g, Sugar Alcohol 7g, Protein

19g (

Vitamin E (15% DV), Thiamin (15% DV), Riboflavin (15% DV), Niacin (15% DV), Vitamin B-6

(15% DV), Folic Acid (15% DV), Vitamin B-12 (15% DV), Biotin (15% DV), Pantothenic Acid

(15% DV), Phosphorus (4% DV), Iodine (15% DV), Magnesium (2% DV), Zinc (15% DV),

Copper (15% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

36% DV), Vitamin A (15% DV), Vitamin C (15% DV), Calcium (10% DV), Iron (6% DV),

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom