sour milk breath

* Gail R *
on 10/27/11 4:25 am - SF Bay Area, CA
For the last year or so, my kids have been telling me that I have sour milk breath. I have good dental hygiene and regular cleanings. I have searched the Internet for an answer and have been through four Google pages. Mostly incidental information and nothing I would rely on as solid information was found. I am kicking myself as I just had my annual PCP visit and forgot to bring this up. The only lead that I have is that it might be some sort of mild lactose intolerance or stomach bacterial overgrowth. I use probiotics and never drink milk, though I cook with it.  Any ideas out there?

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/27/11 5:36 am
It's not dental hygine, it's ketosis breath. When you burn your fat it changes the way your breath smells. If only it smelled like roses.

I have the sour milk breath too, almost all the time since surgery but also when I was on a strict low-carb diet in the past. Hubs complains but he understands, but at least I'm not dying under my massive weight anymore.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

* Gail R *
on 10/27/11 6:40 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I will have to test to see if I am possibly burning ketones. I don't think so as my diabetes is well controled and I am not changing weight at all. Ketosis has a rotten fruit smell.

Elizabeth N.
on 10/27/11 6:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
Ketosis can cause a mildly acidic smell, too. People describe it in different ways.

Ketoacidosis, OTOH, is almost impossible to miss. It causes nail polish remover breath.

You could be having a bit of bile reflux going on, too.

* Gail R *
on 10/27/11 9:31 am - SF Bay Area, CA
The DS weight loss pretty much ended my reflux problems and breath problem started after I lost the weight. I will have to see if ketosis is possible as the DS did not completely resolve my diabetes but it is under good control now.

Kathleen F.
on 10/27/11 6:01 am
I was under the impression that sour milk breath could be due to bacterial overgrowth. I will have to do some googling.
* Gail R *
on 10/27/11 6:40 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Thaks Kathy, Maybe too much probiotic?

Kathleen F.
on 10/27/11 7:47 am

I would think the other way around. Too much bad bacteria... not enough good. Need more probiotics.

I found this article that might be helpful if it is actually bacterial overgrowth causing the problem: http://www.oley.org/lifeline/bacter.html

* Gail R *
on 10/27/11 9:27 am - SF Bay Area, CA
thank you Kathleen. I think I will try a differant variety of probiotic for awhile and then ask my trusty, very truthful kids if it helps.

butercup
on 10/27/11 10:05 am - Kennewick, WA
I have a RNY friend that has this and I can grantee you that she was not in ketosis.  I think this is a bacterial problem.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views