Paying out of pocket and surgeon needed

knowbetterdobetter
on 11/3/11 3:34 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12

Hello all,
Can anyone tell me the best place to go for financing for the DS? I am not a member of a credit union.
Also any surgeon recommendations for the Orlando Florida area? My insurance does not cover the DS. My bmi is 57.6

Thanks.

Elizabeth N.
on 11/3/11 3:39 am - Burlington County, NJ
There are no acceptable DS surgeons in FL period, much less "affordable" ones.

USA based self pay options that are not too horrible (vicinity of $20K, some less) include Dr. Greenbaum in NJ, Dr. Kemmeter in MI, Dr. Stewart in TX and.....ARGH, the other one just fell out of my head. (They say lack of estrogen will do that *sigh*. Sure seems to work that way for me.)

Others will be along shortly and let you know about other self pay options. One very reliable out of country option is Dr. Gilberto Ungson in Hermasillo, MX. He is the ONLY acceptable DS surgeon in MX.

knowbetterdobetter
on 11/3/11 3:48 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks Elizabeth. No wonder I couldn't find any surgeons in Florida. I am trying to figure out if I could afford to finance both my surgery (within the next few months) and my daugthers surgery (within the next two years or so). If I can't afford it then I will get the RNY and she will have the DS later.
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/11 4:00 am - San Jose, CA
Please don't make your decision about YOUR surgery based on concerns about your daughter's access later.  You will have 2 or more years to get her better insurance - working at Starbucks, for example - to cover her surgery.

You know how when you're on the plane, and they tell you that if you are responsible for another person, and the oxygen masks come down, you should put YOURS on first, so you are then able to help others?  This is the same thing.
knowbetterdobetter
on 11/3/11 4:15 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
So true. I have to take care of me so that I can take care of her. I am starting to realize that. As mothers we are so used to putting our children first that sometimes it is hard to break that habit. Since I have been researching WLS its always been about what surgery I can have based on what she will be able to have. I realize that I have to put her needs out of my mind right now and concentrate on me. Its sounds selfish to say that but I know its not and I know that I give her all that I can and all that I have. Besides in two years she may not even want the surgery.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/3/11 11:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
Please DON'T SETTLE!!!!!

Fix yourself first and do it right.

There are two names that will crop up in FL, Hoddinott and Overcash. Don't use either one for ANYTHING, but especially NOT the DS.

Larissa P.
on 11/3/11 3:46 am, edited 11/3/11 3:47 am - Denton, TX
List of surgeons: www.dsfacts.com/North-American-Duodenal-Switch-Surgeons.html

You might have to travel to save money. Lowest in-country price is around $22k I think. Dr. Stewart in Texas. Or you can go to Dr. Ungson in Mexico for about $14k.

*all prices subject to change ;)

Also, I used LendingClub.com for my financing.

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
knowbetterdobetter
on 11/3/11 4:24 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks so much for the info.
sandyv63
on 11/3/11 4:31 am - Naples, FL
This would be with arguably the best DS surgeon around:  http://verdugohillshospital.org/hospserv_bar.asp

I'll be there next Thursday for my surgery.  I'm also from Florida and you will have to travel to do this. I've been at it for three years so I can tell you from experience it is very difficult to get approved through insurance in this lousy state.

I don't think you are being selfish for wanting to get the DS. If you get the RNY, by the time your daughter gets her surgery you will be in need of a revision (or fairly soon after unless an ulcer, leak, constant vomiting, etc. forces you to revise sooner.)

Ditto what Larissa said about lendingclub.com
knowbetterdobetter
on 11/3/11 5:00 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks Sandy. Make sure you post after your surgery to let us know how it goes. I saw this doctor on the website that Larissa posted about.  Financially his price isn't bad.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 350 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views