How long for new DS stomach to stretch?

Lisa_Sac
on 11/10/11 10:29 am
Hi everyone!

I'm three weeks post-op today (and down 20) and still struggling with the eating thing! I can get about 3-4 bites in of a meal and then I'm stuffed. I don't know how I can fit in the 80 grm of protein that is now my daily goal from Dr Rabkin. I'm lucky if I can eat one egg for breakfast without feeling like I want to puke (I'm still taking my anti-nausea meds which helps a little).

My question is how long until the stomach will start to stretch out and allow for more food/volume? Pre-op, it was so hard to wrap my brain around only being able to eat this tiny amount and now that it is happening, it's a little annoying! :D

Thanks!
Lisa

5'3"; CC length 100 cm    
prettypixels
on 11/10/11 11:02 am
I think different things are easier than others... eggs are really hard for me still, unless they are done up in egg salad with mayo to keep things moist. But I can eat tender shrimp from Costco much more easily. So maybe just trying different things you'll find something that sits more easily.

I feel like I am having the opposite problem, I'm always hungry. I did not expect that so early out!
Eli1979
on 11/10/11 8:39 pm
RKLC2002
on 11/10/11 11:21 am - Omaha, NE
I know exactly what you mean.  But, I'm also consideirng this a 'honeymoon phase' where I can try to lose as much as I can.   I find myself eating protein about every 2-3 hours during the day.  

I'm struggling with dry heaving/vomiting if I eat too much.  Even if I don't get that full feeling, sometimes just thinking about things will make me throw up.  I get my feeding tube removed Tuesday, so I'll ask my doctor.  (My tube is currently tied off, but not removed yet.)

I did find some protein shakes called Premier @ Costco.   They are 30 grams of protein.  I drink one  in the mornings and sometimes it takes me 1-2 hours to drink it.  But, it's a good protein boost.  I also found some really good protein bars called Supreme Protein.  They have fantastic flavors.  The 'small' bars are 15 grams of protein.   The rest I try to get in with normal, but very tiny meals.

Good luck!  Hang in there!!
Renee

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/10/11 11:28 am
I relied heavily on protein shakes and drinks early on. They doubled as protein, and liquid. They also move through more quickly, so you don't have to wait a few hours for each bite to digest.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/10/11 11:51 am - Burlington County, NJ
Relax. You're only three weeks out. You will do fine with what you're eating for now. You need WATER more than anything else at this point, so focus more on hydration than anything else.

The super limited volume is why people try protein supplements early out.

Give it some time.

butercup
on 11/10/11 1:40 pm - Kennewick, WA
I'm 7 weeks and I think mine is about 5oz sometimes. It started out as three and I ate a 5oz yogurt fairly easily. It'll get better and I wondered the same thing as you, I still do when I see pictures of what people eat.
beemerbeeper
on 11/10/11 1:45 pm - AL
Very few people can get that much protein that fast.  We say 30 grams by 30 days, 60 by 60 days 90 by 90 and  100+ for life.

Your stomach will stretch and one day you will wi**** was still tight.  Work that restriction while you've got it!!!

~Becky

scoob
on 11/10/11 8:28 pm - Somerset, KY
Use that restriction!! That's the whole point. Remember, get fluids in first, the most important thing right now. Like others said, 30 BY 30, 60 by  60, 90 by 90. It does get easier. Try ricotta fluff, cottage cheese, greek or carbmaster yogurt. These things are protein packed and easier to get in.

As for the whole egg making you wanna puke, maybe you're eating it too fast or maybe it's just too much all at once. Eat slowly and listen to your body when it says it's full. Being too full sucks! Soon you'll miss that restriction.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

lk1970
on 11/10/11 9:30 pm
Your main goal is to stay hydrated! Try protein powders to get some protein in and try less dense foods, it's different for everyone what does and doesnt sit well.
Enjoy the restriction while you have it and watch the weight drop off!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1082 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1253 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 512 views